1987 E-350 Steering Help

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Its been a while. so i got a new ride and need some help before I start throwing money at something. I bought an 87' van which runs well and will be a work horse for construction jobs. However i ran in to a scary issue on the drive home. This ol bitty was wandering over the road and hard to keep tracking straight. From what I understand this is a common issue? i jacked up the front and try to toggle the front tires back in forth with hands at 12 and 6. Not much play..some but barely. however side to side it had considerable play. I recognize that the wheels are supposed to turn (obviously). However what could this mean? I have a red head gear not yet installed on my truck. I have read that that may be a primary culprit. Thoughts or experience with these vans?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
You should lift the front and put on Jack stands. Then have someone turn the wheels left to right. You will see quickly what component is loose. If nothing is loose then look down on the steering shaft to see if it is loose. If everything is tight, your steering box needs to be adjusted. That is what the screw and nut are for.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
How are the rear shocks? They can feel like a steering problem on vans if they are worn out in windy conditions.

Also, your van has king pins (not ball joints) so check that the bushings aren't worn out on them.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One more thing to consider. Your truck Red Head may not work on a van. They may take different steering boxes.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
One more thing to consider. Your truck Red Head may not work on a van. They may take different steering boxes.

82-96 Econolines used the same gearbox F-series, Ranger, Bronco & Bronco II from that same era. Just have to change the pitman arm.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's good to know. I wasn't sure.

Yeah, I pulled a junk yard gearbox from a 90s Ranger for the leaking one my F250 had. It was just as worn out but doesn't leak and cost a fraction of a rebuilt one, when I had to replace lots of other parts at the same time right after I bought the truck.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should put the lift the front and put on Jack stands. Then have someone turn the wheels left to right. You will see quickly what component is loose. If nothing is loose the look down on the steering shaft to see if it is loose. If everything is tight, your steering box needs to be adjusted. That is what the screw and nut are for.
This is the way to start, but my preference is to keep the wheels on the ground so the person in the cab can go back and forth as hard as they want, they won't move the tires.

Make sure engine is OFF.

When you can't see something moving (like the rag joint or two pieces of the shaft, just grab it with your hand and you will easily be able to feel the movement.

With an old rig you'll likely need all or most of the tie rods and ends. The slip joint(or DD joint) on the steering shaft is super common for wear, so is the steering box. Just don't over tighten the box-- just enough to take out the play and then no further. Otherwise it will trash the box fast from what I hear.

Happy wrenching!

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with a 1987, but my 1994 E350 extended length van with a raised roof is rock steady. I can take my hands off the steering wheel at 65mph and it tracks straight as a arrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online