1986 T19 clutch grumble in neutral

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I’m lost with this.

my new to me 86 4-speed has a grumble with the clutch is out and idling in neutral. It doesn’t happen while driving, or while the clutch pedal is pushed in.

it doesn’t seem to be normal, but I can’t find anything wrong with my limited knowledge and experience about these. I know the later ZF5 trucks have DMF issues, but I’m having trouble finding info on the T18/T19 trucks.

attached is a video of the noise, and a photo of the inspection cover off. Any suggestions?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a truck, looked an awful lot like that one, and it made that noise. Sold mine down in Florida but it could be anywhere. Motor painted Ford blue? Edit: Doesn’t look like it in the pics, wishful thinking I guess.

Anyway, here’s my thread on the noise. Tons of good info from great people here.

In the years since I’ve thought more and would honestly look a lot more closely at the flywheel.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/trans-noise-after-rebuild-new-clutch-and-bearings.72727/

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a truck, looked an awful lot like that one, and it made that noise. Sold mine down in Florida but it could be anywhere. Motor painted Ford blue? Edit: Doesn’t look like it in the pics, wishful thinking I guess.

Anyway, here’s my thread on the noise. Tons of good info from great people here.

In the years since I’ve thought more and would honestly look a lot more closely at the flywheel.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/trans-noise-after-rebuild-new-clutch-and-bearings.72727/
Thanks for that.

this truck was supposedly originally from Idaho. Someone brought it to MN a few years ago.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same. Sounds terrible clutch out neutral. Just fine driving and clutch in.

I was told the fork may be bent, I have bigger fish right now like the rear tank rusting and passenger door jamming into the fender...

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My T19 with a new luk flywheel and clutch does that to some extent. It isn't that loud however.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving it a bit more, I've discovered that it only does it at idle. if I apply even a little bit of throttle, it goes away. It's also very heard to hear on the outside of the truck.

My guess is that it's the input shaft bearing. the question is, if it really is an input shaft bearing, will I do damage by just driving it that way for now? I'n not in a position to be dropping the trans, and won't be for a couple months at least.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There's no guarantee, but you should be fine. It may have been making noise for a long time and has just recently gotten loud enough for you to hear. Make sure that your transmission is full of gear lube. maybe you could try to overfill it by a half quart or so. you can do this by making sure that it's full, then driving up on blocks or even lifting the driver's side of the truck with a jack. Once it's tilted away from the fill plug, you can add some more oil to the transmission.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no guarantee, but you should be fine. It may have been making noise for a long time and has just recently gotten loud enough for you to hear. Make sure that your transmission is full of gear lube. maybe you could try to overfill it by a half quart or so. you can do this by making sure that it's full, then driving up on blocks or even lifting the driver's side of the truck with a jack. Once it's tilted away from the fill plug, you can add some more oil to the transmission.
I’ve only had the truck for a week and a half. It’s made the noise since I bought it.

what would overfilling the transmission do?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I forgot that you've only had it a little while. Overfilling could quiet the noise down some. It also could give a worn bearing a little bit more "cushion". Emphasis on the word "could". Even if it does nothing, you won't be out much money. Also, that one recommendation to help quiet down gear rollover noise in a ZF5 with a single mass flywheel so it may help here.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot that you've only had it a little while. Overfilling could quiet the noise down some. It also could give a worn bearing a little bit more "cushion". Emphasis on the word "could". Even if it does nothing, you won't be out much money.
Gotcha. Worth a shot, huh?

Any recommendations on fluids? I’ve heard GL5 eats Brady bushings/bearings, and GL4 is harder to find.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, I did a transmission fluid change, and tilted up the right side of the truck to fit more in there. didn't really change anything.

also, now it has a cyclical squeak that changes speed with rpm, and goes away with even a faint touch of the clutch pedal.

Any ideas? Throw out bearing?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...it has a cyclical squeak that changes speed with rpm, and goes away with even a faint touch of the clutch pedal. Throw out bearing?

That was my thought. Have similar squeak from the TOB. I pull the fork and boot off the bellhousing every time I change the oil in my F250 with the T19. I reach in the best I can blindly and work grease into the TOB. The squeak goes away for a while, but always comes back. If I knew what I know now, I would have tried to find the TOB with the grease zirk when I put the new Southbend Clutch in years ago.

Heath

Last edited:

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squeek or chirp with clutch out that goes away with slight pressure on the pedal can be fork or TOB. Not the end of the world, as it can generally run some time making this noise. Input shaft will typically make noise if 1st, 2nd, and 3rd while driving, but go away in 4th. Based on symptoms sounds like bearing noise, but not input shaft. How was fluid level before you topped it off? Was it low?

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squeek or chirp with clutch out that goes away with slight pressure on the pedal can be fork or TOB. Not the end of the world, as it can generally run some time making this noise. Input shaft will typically make noise if 1st, 2nd, and 3rd while driving, but go away in 4th. Based on symptoms sounds like bearing noise, but not input shaft. How was fluid level before you topped it off? Was it low?
I didn't check the exact level, but at least 3-3.5 quarts came out because my drain pan was filled mostly full. I replaced it with Sta-Lube GL4 80w-90. It was pretty dirty though. I noticed a significant improvement in shifting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.