1986 T19 clutch grumble in neutral

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after another 500 miles in the truck, the grumble has gotten significantly worse, and now I can feel the shifter vibrate in neutral.

any ideas? The grumble doesn’t go away until clutch is fully pressed in, but the squeak/cheap goes away when slightly depressed, so I’m thinking those are two different symptoms.

I don’t notice anything while driving.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The grumble sounds like it's a bearing on the way out to me. Possibly the bearing on the input shaft. I don't think your problems will go away on their own. on the other hand, they probably will, but they'll turn into MUCH bigger problems.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd say you have two different problems unfortunately. I had a throwout bearing so bad it literally seized up and when I pressed in the clutch it sounded like this..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I drove it the whole way to @FarmerFrank work 30 miles from home and floated gears a few days after this, managed to only have to press the clutch to start it and get it on his trailer but it was not an enjoyable trip. The throwout you can abuse a bit when it seizes up and just ruin it more, the input shaft bearing however is a different scenario lol

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grumble sounds like it's a bearing on the way out to me. Possibly the bearing on the input shaft. I don't think your problems will go away on their own. on the other hand, they probably will, but they'll turn into MUCH bigger problems.

Yeah I'd say you have two different problems unfortunately. I had a throwout bearing so bad it literally seized up and when I pressed in the clutch it sounded like this..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I drove it the whole way to @FarmerFrank work 30 miles from home and floated gears a few days after this, managed to only have to press the clutch to start it and get it on his trailer but it was not an enjoyable trip. The throwout you can abuse a bit when it seizes up and just ruin it more, the input shaft bearing however is a different scenario lol

That's kinda what I'm thinking. at 99k, it's probably the original clutch, so I'm due. Probably have to drop the tranny, and if I'm going to do that I may as well replace everything down there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online