1986 KING PIN INSTALLATION HELP...

Dillonn

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the place for this but...
I started rebuilding the front end of my 86 f250 and I am not completely sure of how to reinstall the king pins and associated shims. The kit also includes a small seal and flat bearing, I think it goes, bearing on bottom, shim on top and seal inside on top of king pin.(its been apart for a while) my manual doesn't even have a picture of the king pins. Suggestions???

Thanks

David in Tx.

Last edited:

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the place for this but...
I started rebuilding the front end of my 86 f250 and I am not completely sure of how to reinstall the king pins and associated shims(its been apart for a while) my manual doesn't even have a picture of the king pins. Suggestions???

Thanks

David in Tx.
I have done many king pin jobs on the big rigs and these trucks are no different, the shims go between the upper part of the spindle and the alxe beam the bearing goes between the lower part of the spindle and the axle beam, the shims vary in thickness so this is what I do.
I put the same amount of shims that came out on top of the axle beam and then put the spindle on the beam then put bearing inbetween the lower part of the beam and the spindle if the bearing can be removed and installed easily it is too loose and there will be play in the spindle, you would be able to rock it up and down, thats what you dont want so if that is the case then would add shims to tghten it up, or if it is too tight then remove shims to loosen it up, but you want just enough shims installed tat you would lightly tap the bearing into place.
On the bearing installtion if you look at it looks kinda of like a jar with a lid the outer part that would be a lid and must face down to prevent water and other contamiats getting the bearing
There are grease seals that go inside the spindles with the pins shims, these grease seals must be installed with the rubber lip facing the lower spindle bearing and the upper facing down toward the shims. Ill try to find some pics or a video and post it on herefor you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online