1984 jetta idi - no start

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I parked my 84 idi turbo diesel about a month ago because of low oil pressure. I got to buy a oil pump , but just havent had the time or money.

I went out this afternoon to move the car and it wouldnt start. When I parked it a month ago it started upon first hitting the key. By following the fuel lines they go straight to the tank, so this should mean that I an electric fuel pump in the tank correct?

I cracked the lines coming to the fuel filter and getting a tiny bit off fuel when cranking the motor, but nothing makes it into the pump or through the return lines.

I am guessing that the car has a fuel pump problem and that the pump is in the tank. But I am not sure of the later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1hvyhammer

Reaction score
Got it fixed yet? My brother has a 86 volvo with the same problem.:dunno

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it started, I took the fuel line off of the filter that goes to the injector pump and filled it with diesel. After about 20 seconds of cranking it started to prime. The same day I noticed it had an airleak that would lead to a no start after about 20 minutes. A day after I primed the system and got it running the airleak turned into an injection pump leak.

At this point I havent been able to work on it to seal it up.

If the fuel pump is built into the injection pump just find a way to fill the line going to the pump with fuel. I used a bottle that looks like what chalk line powder comes in. I cleaned it of coarse, but the nipple on the cap made it easy to get the fuel in the lines.

02AutoWag

Reaction score
I don't think that vintage TDI has an intank fuel lift pump. Everything is being pulled from the engine's injection pump.

www.tdiclub.com is the place to visit for TDI related questions. They may have the answer for a cheap reseal of the IP, or know of a good place to get it rebuilt.

Sorry, don't know much about those older VWs.