1984 6.9 idi

Bazz518

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole idi thing and I'm trying to fix things that the previous owner did but ran into a problem first this I tried to fix was getting fuel shut off and advanced timeing off a toggle switch the previous owner installed but when I reconnects the wires to factory I got nothing and can't find the wiring diagram I also took glow plugs off a switch and set them back to factory with all new parts and that's not working right either any help would be awesome

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is your red/green wire? That came from the keyswitch and it's where all this stuff got it's power when you turned the key to run. Do you have it hooked up and does it have power?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a generic diagram. It doesn't show wire colors but it does show how things are fed and hooked up.

You must be registered for see images

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
The manual glow plugs actually is a good idea, IMO. Some say the early system, 84-86, is problematic and the newer, 87-94, is the way to go, but I think they are both crap.
However, if someone other than yourself ever drives your truck then a working OEM system may be the way to go. Check the tech articles in this forum for help with diagnosing the system.

The FSS system is super easy, it's a keyed hot wire that feeds all three electrical items on the IP, the fuel shutoff, cold timing advance, and cold idle advance. The later systems have a fuse in the power distribution box for this hot, but the early systems like you and I have we do not have this box under the hood so I do not know if it's a fusable link, or fused at the fuse box or what. If I ever did know, I don't now anyways. lol

Bazz518

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info I'll be looking it all over tomorrow to see if I made a mistake

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be the coolant temp switch for the cold advance/high idle is bad. Which could be why it was toggled.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Bazz518

Reaction score
Figured the problem out it was a bad connection in a connector. But now I think I have a bad connection at the glow plugs based on how quickly my wait to start light cycles and I noticed some of the clips on the connectors were broke and I just cut them off and use a spade connector in there place?