1978 Ford F-250 IDI Project

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
Hey guys. I need help. Im lookin at a 78' F-250 4X4: Gas job w/ a c6 auto. Its a dually. Im wantin to buy it and swap it with a 7.3l IDI w/ a ZF 5spd. Here's the problem, i'm 14 and my dad doesnt think i can do it. What is involved in a project like this? i know ill have to change the following:

Fuel lines/tank(s)
Driveline(s)
Engine mounts
Tranny Mounts
Pedal assembly
steering colum work (to take out the gear changer)
Gear Indicator (instramuntation)

Please help me!!!!!!!!

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
sounds like youve got a bunch of it nailed down. a lot would need to be changed but its all easy if you do it in small pieces, even easier if you have a donor truck to swap everything over from.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Why does your dad not think you can do it? Money, skill or both?

If its skill the guys here can help! If its money you might as well move on....we are cheap!

Thad

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I personally have never done an idi into a gasser engine bay but.. I did a chevy 383 stroker in place of a jag V12 once... What a job from hell that was. You just need to know the idi engine weighs about 1000 lbs and no need to think something from harbor freight will support in on a stand. Most here will use a 2000 lbs stand. I hope your planning to run a 4 or 5 speed standard trans. An electronic E4OD automatic will be lots of trouble with wireing.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike aka Hairyboxnoogle did a swap into a '79 and it looks pretty good. You might ask him and get some info. Lately he has been over at FTE quite a bit. And as for your choice of tranny, the Zf5 is a good pick.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I need help. Im lookin at a 78' F-250 4X4: Gas job w/ a c6 auto. Its a dually. Im wantin to buy it and swap it with a 7.3l IDI w/ a ZF 5spd. Here's the problem, i'm 14 and my dad doesnt think i can do it. What is involved in a project like this? i know ill have to change the following:

Fuel lines/tank(s)
Driveline(s)
Engine mounts
Tranny Mounts
Pedal assembly
steering colum work (to take out the gear changer)
Gear Indicator (instramuntation)

Please help me!!!!!!!!
I'm a realist.
Be honest with yourself. Have you completed a vehicle fabrication project before?
you can't just "bolt in" a IDI into a dentside due to the body and the steering linkage being limiting factors.
Are you doing this on your parents driveway or in a shop space where you can leave it sitting without ******* someone off while it sits?
I too was a dreamer at one time. People profited off my abilities when I was younger, I built jag V12 motors for a living after school in the afternoon and restored a Caddy convt. for my insurance agent. Where did I do my own project? Behind my HS autoshop. My car was there from sophomore year to my graduation day. Being in such an exposed place meant it got vandalized quite regularly. I learned how to conceal progress as a result. The autoshop teacher felt bad enough for me where month before graduation he let me use the shop to finish the job. My motivation was obvious.
Lesson if you want to listen. This is a major undertaking have the space and the skills or don't do it. There will be others who will pay you for your skills but won't share their space and that is understandable. There is nothing worse than someone who doesn't understand what you are doing riding your ass for progress. Theft and vandalism is just as cruel. The real heartbreaker is when you have to deal with school and your project is hauled away for scrap while you are concentrating on studies(which you really should).
good luck!

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it seems simple on paper, its quite a bit of work. How are your fabrication skills? (welding/cutting) Do you have ready availablity to machines?

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its very unrealistic to think at 14yo you could do a job like that unless money, resources, and help are unlimited.

Take it for what its worth but I started messing with gas engines around 16ish. Im now almost 30 (nothing compared to others) and have done several rebuilds, pulled many engines/trans, and done minor fab work. I wouldnt even attempt a swap like that without help.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have always worked alone but one time on engines... Then I had my father assisting me when I did the V8 to jag v12 change. When I did my idi build I did it alone. Pulled and installed the engine 5 times one day... Had an isue with the torque converter fitting size on size in the crank pilot... That was a day in hell right there. I wont say you can't do it but... Listening to all the comments here is lifes experiance talking. Good luck on what you decide to do and be careful if you take on this large of an undertaking. Never ever get under a suspended load no matter what. Fate has a terrible way of acting only when your under a load....:angel:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Yes it can be done, but you have your work cut out for you, I'm fixin' to put a 6.9 in a 62 F600 (or was it 700) back hoe.

I hope you do get it done for you will have the pride of saying that you did it. Good luck.

. There is nothing worse than someone who doesn't understand what you are doing riding your ass for progress.

Hence the reason I become nocturnal when I have a big project. Parents don't bother me, they just ask hows the progress. It's the idiots that don't belong anywhere near a wrench, mainly the one that spends 2 months replacing the A arm bushings in his toyoda, and the one that spends 2 days to R&R a drive shaft.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most everyone here and Towcat's post has hit the nail on the head.

Bottom line,

Need cash, at 14 you got time, but you need cash

Need space, at 14 you got time, but you need space, cash

Need skills, at 14 yer just starting and can learn skils, but you need space, cash learn skills

Need to be motivated, this could be a grad present to yerself or what have you but you gotta be focused, oh ya need cash,

Need Cash, must work for cash, means lets time for build, mo money for build, hence need space to keep the project, got lots of time yer 14

Most and this is most important NEED GOOD GRADES IN SCHOOL, means lots of study, means less time for project, which needs cash, which means job, which means project sits...need space

So hope yer dad can help you with space...enough for 3 trucks, 1 the project, 2 the donor and 3 the room to work!

do keep us posted on what you do,

We are not saying to NO to this by any means, it's just we are realists, and want you to succeed in the project and know that what it takes is a commitment. You will be married to this project, no time for girls, only Grades, work and project!

I started on cars at 14 was into bikes before that, I am 47 now and I moved my project into my first shop on Jan 1st of this year....my project has been underway for about 5 years, collecting info, parts and pieces etc, will it be done this year....maybe,

Have fun with this keep yer grades up and we are here to help anyway we can...except maybe cash....did I mention you need cash?

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
I have cash coming, I DEFINATLY have motivation, i have space, i can get help (well, tips & info) from the awsome guys & gals at OilBurners and as for fab work, i know a guy close to where the project would be.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started building my f250 when I was 16. I started scrapping at 15 and parting trucks at 16. I worked 2-3till jobs till I was 20 all the while going to high school and college full time. I graduated top of my class in high school even though I kept myself so busy. I've bought and sold around 20 by time I was 20.

My brother and i converted his ranger to 4x4 when he was 16 and out a 302 in it at 17.

You can do anything you can put your mind to. Motor swaps wernt always easy but can be fun if your not in a rush. Rushing makes things unpleasant and far more costly. Post lots if pics and ask question.

Look up the screen name 77f250diesel he's here in Florida and is great about answering questions.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have cash coming, I DEFINATLY have motivation, i have space, i can get help (well, tips & info) from the awsome guys & gals at OilBurners and as for fab work, i know a guy close to where the project would be.
Sounds like you got a handle on this then, All the power too ya, we are here to help with any suggestions and field questions, good luck with the build and have fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828