1966 F250 6.9 SWAP

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Ford F250 Camper Special 7500 GVW. Has anyone ever swaped a 6.9 into a truck of this vintage? Is the frame and suspension strong enough?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge. There has been a late 70's IDI repower and an International Scout IDI repower, a Chevy 3500 IDI repower............But, I think you're the first with a mid 60's era IDI swap.

The motor is heavier than the gas motor the truck came from the factory with. The IDI weighs 1000lbs. The frame will likely be OK, but you may need beefier springs. Sounds like a cool project.;Sweet Keep us up to date on it and post some photos.

Heath

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely a doable project and would be probably the coolest 66 F-250 Camper Special around. Do it and keep us posted.

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I currently have truck torn down to frame for sandblasting. If there is an area that needs to be boxed now would be a convienant time to do it. I have the front end from a 72 with disc brakes (dual piston calipers) larger I-beams, 1 1/16 king pins, and forged radius arms (not Stamped). I have pictures on my website.
Blackwaterforge.com

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without knowing the size or seeing the size of the front frame rails, it's tough to call about boxing it in. If you're unsure about it or concerned at all about the extra weight......I'd box the front rails for piece of mind......especially if you've got it down to the bare frame.

Just my $0.2

On Edit: HERE is a link to your site. And, here are the PHOTOS.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online