Future engine swap

that one guy

Reaction score
Hows it going yall, new hear just was looking for a thread that wasn't last posted on in 5 years lol but I have been looking into a new project for a future custom build and was wandering if anyone had ever heard of someone doing a cat c15 6nz into ford pick up. Just looking at different aspects of it weather the frames would be strong enough if it was reinforced and suspension and axels upgraded.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hows it going yall, new hear just was looking for a thread that wasn't last posted on in 5 years lol but I have been looking into a new project for a future custom build and was wandering if anyone had ever heard of someone doing a cat c15 6nz into ford pick up. Just looking at different aspects of it weather the frames would be strong enough if it was reinforced and suspension and axels upgraded.
6NZ engines weigh like 3200 lbs. Unless you do something to reinforce the frame and get medium duty truck axles and suspension, you’re gonna break stuff. And it will be way too front heavy to drive right, flatbed would help though.

You’d be best off to get an old utility truck like a 4WD crew cab 4700 or 4900 International truck and swap it in. Would handle the weight better…

As far as a CAT in a Ford pickup, 3116, 3126, 3208, C6.6, C7, C7.1, 1140, 1145, 1150, 1160, those engines would fit much better, and not be destructively heavy. C series are electronically controlled and really made by Perkins, and Perkins 354 would also fit and be real damn cool.

With unlimited funds, maybe a C15 could fit, but it’d be complicated and expensive. Those engines are huge…

Most people with unlimited money don’t mess with these old trucks anyways

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dimensions of C15 without accessories

Length 54.2
Width 36.2
Height 48.3

Yeahhh not gonna fit. Maybe in the bed LOL

that one guy

Reaction score
I know it would be a huge feat at least but as for the engine I know the dimensions are a lot bigger and the weight alone would be an issue, that's why I was thinking something along the lines or say an f 650 frame reinforced or possibly finding another Donor truck like day cab with singe rear wheel for the frame and fabricating a body from a different donor pickup over the top.

that one guy

Reaction score
I've seen there has been a few trucks with a cat swap and they are pretty intense. I just think if I could manage to drop a 6nz into a pickup without having to push over weight to register with cdls would be a 1 of a kind build

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it would be a huge feat at least but as for the engine I know the dimensions are a lot bigger and the weight alone would be an issue, that's why I was thinking something along the lines or say an f 650 frame reinforced or possibly finding another Donor truck like day cab with singe rear wheel for the frame and fabricating a body from a different donor pickup over the top.
Just put it in a L-8000 and put a truck bed on it. Heck, just get a L-8000.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I woud try for something a bit smaller.

The ford 6.6/7.8L inlines and IH DT466 are already big enough for a challenging install in a pickup. At least these use mechanical bosch injection.

I would still want to use a F450/550 frame.