18.4 MPG!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm doing something wrong.
I am all stock idit specs ' best of 15 empty on 1 tank up in the open hill count of ak. Seconded by 14 coming up I 5 over the grapevine babying it the bay I bought it...
Towing around 9-10.....(bangs head on wall) ,seems my system is locked up or the vbullshitten aids is strong today, lets see if this posts???

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Guess I'm doing something wrong.
I am all stock idit specs ' best of 15 empty on 1 tank up in the open hill count of ak. Seconded by 14 coming up I 5 over the grapevine babying it the bay I bought it...
Towing around 9-10.....(bangs head on wall) ,seems my system is locked up or the vbullshitten aids is strong today, lets see if this posts???

Perfectly working injectors and IP, and proper timing, all combined are probably what yield better mpg.

Too bad it's so expensive and labor intense, so most IDIs don't get it unless it gets so bad you can't drive it.

It's probably easier to pull the engine on my RV to do the IP and injectors than to try with it installed. Well, maybe not.. but it still looks like it would be rough. The turbo would have to be completely removed, at the very least to reach the IP.

Black dawg

Reaction score
89 7.3 turbo 4.1 gears with od in a crew 4x4. Probably been 10+ years since I checked the mpg.

Unloaded more off highway than on would be about 14, sometimes as low as 11 in the winter.
Unloaded highway usually 16-17, with a couple trips of no stops other than fuel and driving no faster than 65, got 21 on one trip, and 22 on another. This was when fuel was better

loaded at 18-20k total anywhere from 11-13.

Have towed much heavier than that, and have not gotten less than 9

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Here is my list of what I did to my IDI to get it up around 20mpg reliably. http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/turbo/the-great-big-list-of-eco-mods-for-6-9-and-7-3-idi-vehicles/

Honestly, the fastest way to get 2-4mpg with the least amount of work was the HD TC and oversized LRR tires.

Wrapping the pipes is something I want to do eventually on the RV. Maybe this fall/early winter. I need to change the differential oil first, and grease the ujoints. They are so easy to forget! Sadly, I don't have my grease gun with me. Ugh. I'll either have to wait until February, or buy another one. (I will probably buy another). What grease do you use for your driveshaft ujoints?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read thru that a while back, turbo mods could be in order, runnin a zf, so as food as it gets there...
Thanx for the post, hope we can build a solid data base and get some of the fud cleared out someday...

Rex Solgar

Reaction score
13.91 mpg - Trips 10 miles and under, Back roads & gravel not faster than 45mph. Elevation +/-2000'. 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratacs
Stoked, cause this saves me about $60 per thousand miles in fuel savings compared to my 93 Dodge W150 3.9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.