1 bad glow plug 7.3

turbobrick563

Reaction score
hey guys. would one bad glow plug stop a truck from starting? i just tested all mine with a testlight and one plug is bad. im going to test all of them with a meter now to check ohms bc ive heard a testlight can read a good plug when its actually bad. and also how would i check the glow plug relay? just because the plugs might be good doesnt mean there getting the juice right? lol

turbobrick563

Reaction score
well i just got done checking them with the meter. same one that was dead is still dead but 2 more showed they were bad aswell. they went to zero and another one was kind of fluctuating between numbers so im pretty sure my trucks got 3 bad plugs and one thats not working as good as it should.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes is the answer you wre looking ofr. What brand of plugs are in the engine now. Hopefully you can find a set of motorcraft Beru ZD9 plugs. They have worked best for a long time in many members trucks. We as a collective put many miles on these trucks and that what works for us. Others have had some luck with other brands but not near as many with the ZD9 plugs. The complete waste of time and money are the sutolites and then the champions. Those are known to swell and burn out. then they break off and ruin a piston or turbo or both. A cheap set of glow plugs is never a cheap repair later on. When they drop of and hit a piston there is only about 42 thousands clearance between the head the top of any piston. So they get hammered into the piston and hopefully blown out the exhaust valve. If you don't have a turbo then it goes out the tail pipe but still does damage to the pistons.

turbobrick563

Reaction score
Yes is the answer you wre looking ofr. What brand of plugs are in the engine now. Hopefully you can find a set of motorcraft Beru ZD9 plugs. They have worked best for a long time in many members trucks. We as a collective put many miles on these trucks and that what works for us. Others have had some luck with other brands but not near as many with the ZD9 plugs. The complete waste of time and money are the sutolites and then the champions. Those are known to swell and burn out. then they break off and ruin a piston or turbo or both. A cheap set of glow plugs is never a cheap repair later on. When they drop of and hit a piston there is only about 42 thousands clearance between the head the top of any piston. So they get hammered into the piston and hopefully blown out the exhaust valve. If you don't have a turbo then it goes out the tail pipe but still does damage to the pistons.

im not sure what plugs are in there now. i will try and get the zd9 plugs. ive heard many good things about them

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not sure what plugs are in there now. i will try and get the zd9 plugs. ive heard many good things about them
All brands are ZD9, ZD9 is a part number for the 7.3L Diesel. To get Motorcraft, you must specify it by Name.

turbobrick563

Reaction score
Well I just ordered 3 of the motorcraft plugs. If that fixes the no start issue I will replace the other 5

turbobrick563

Reaction score
Well I replaced the 3 bad plugs with the motorcrafts and that fixed it. Truck starts with no ether now. Got the other 5 plugs on the way. And there were autolites in the truck. That would explain why they are bad lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I replaced the 3 bad plugs with the motorcrafts and that fixed it. Truck starts with no ether now. Got the other 5 plugs on the way. And there were autolites in the truck. That would explain why they are bad lol

You dodged a bullit there with the autolites. Good move on your part to go ahead and replace all the others now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin