05 sheet metal junk

Truckie

Reaction score
Well, now I know how crappie the bed of the new Dodge is. Just about everybody is complaining about how cheap and bad this metal is. About 2 weeks ago I had a 186lb fire hydrant in the bed of the truck and it dent it the hell out of it.:frustrate Now I can live with the dent but the metal that pulled away from the other end of the bed is what got me hot and all fired up. -Flame Thr Its all open for water salt and everything else to get in there and live and cause problems down the road. I went to the dealer where I bought the truck and he said I was on my own and they don't even have a body shop. Went to another dealer and he said I might be able to help ya.
All he wants to do is pound the dent out and slap on some putty or silicone to seal the seam up that split. I was think of fixing it my self. I was going to pound the dent out and J B weld the seam together, pop rivet it together and then put some silicone over it. What do you all think about that? It should work? :confused:

Mike

Attachments

• DSC00249.JPG
    DSC00249.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00250.JPG
    DSC00250.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 17

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not just dodge...its ALL vehicles...made of cheap ass sheet metal. my suggestion...hammer the panel back with a rubber mallet, seal it with seam sealer available at most auto parts stores that deal with paint supplies...GET A SPRAY IN BED LINER. it strengthens the beds like you wouldnt believe and seals out water/salt/mud etc.

rray32539

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Pound out dent.
2. Fill with body filler or JB Weld.
3. Go to local Rhino Liner or similar spray on bed liner place, have entire bed sprayed. That stuff can go on up to 1/4 inch thick, cover minor imperfections, stiffen up the bed, and seal up any crack that you may have missed. You also won't have to worry about a paint match.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Like Fords are any better? GM sheetmetal/polycarbonate/expoxywhateveritis are the worst of the bunch.

You want a truck that wont dent? Get an Oshkosh. ;Sweet Any model will do.... pick whatever you want. :thumbsup:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truckie said:
Well, now I know how crappie the bed of the new Dodge is. Just about everybody is complaining about how cheap and bad this metal is. About 2 weeks ago I had a 186lb fire hydrant in the bed of the truck and it dent it the hell out of it.:frustrate Now I can live with the dent but the metal that pulled away from the other end of the bed is what got me hot and all fired up. -Flame Thr Its all open for water salt and everything else to get in there and live and cause problems down the road. I went to the dealer where I bought the truck and he said I was on my own and they don't even have a body shop. Went to another dealer and he said I might be able to help ya.
All he wants to do is pound the dent out and slap on some putty or silicone to seal the seam up that split. I was think of fixing it my self. I was going to pound the dent out and J B weld the seam together, pop rivet it together and then put some silicone over it. What do you all think about that? It should work? :confused:

Mike

This is one reason why I didn't buy a new truck. I looked at a NEW Dodge Ram 3500 yesterday... test drove it and was just d@mned impressed. Couldn't afford it, anyway, but still noticed sheet metal was flimsy.

Same thing with the Fords and Chevys.

I'll be repowering my '91 Ford with a 2005 Cummins in December. Not gonna spend $35,000 on a truck that won't stand up to use. It is a shame that manufacturers are screwing consumers so badly these days. Trucks SHOULD be of heavier construction than cars... and we deserve better for our hard-earned dollar.

Mike

rray32539

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
Like Fords are any better? GM sheetmetal/polycarbonate/expoxywhateveritis are the worst of the bunch.

You want a truck that wont dent? Get an Oshkosh. ;Sweet Any model will do.... pick whatever you want. :thumbsup:

Oshkosh? Don't they make GARBAGE trucks ( as in hauling away trash, not build quality ) ?

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
rray32539 said:
Oshkosh? Don't they make GARBAGE trucks ( as in hauling away trash, not build quality ) ?

Yes... The McNeilus Co. is one of thier divisions/subsidiaries. www.mcneiluscompanies.com

www.oshkoshtruck.com (main Oshkosh product site) and www.oshkoshtruckcorporation.com (corporate site) will show all the subidiary companies along with thier own links.

Fastlink to the companies/products here: http://www.oshkoshtruckcorporation.com/about/product_info.cfm

Im only 15 mins away from Oshkosh WI and the main plant and corporate offices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online