04-07 E350 hydroboost in a 1993 f250?

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
I have been looking at hydroboost systems for my f250( not running yet but I am an optimist) I do a lot of horse hauling in the summer and often haul close to 10k pounds behind my truck. I have electric trailer brakes which are great but was thinking about a hydroboost set up. Anyone used the hydroboost set up from an 04 or later e350 van like this one
You must be registered for see images attach

in their 1980's or 90s idi? just wondering if it has been done.
Thanks

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been done over and over again.
search the tech articles.
i just bought one out of a 00 bus,
gonna be putting it in my MANchero

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure the later SD ones have been used? :confused: I know the early (87-94?) F-Superduty (later F-450) units are a common swap and a bolt in, but I do not know of anyone using a later unit. What I recall from when i had looked at it was that the bolt holes didn't line up and there may be other differences. I would expect that it could be done without too much trouble, but I would also expect it **not** to be a bolt in and likely require some modification of the firewall/petal bracket. Could also be issue with brake lines, PS lines, valving, etc.

The F-superduty swap is easy because the donor truck is essentially the same as the idi rigs. The later superduty rigs are a completely different design with little in common. Among other things, SD trucks are all metric while the earlier trucks are mainly SAE. Consequently, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't somewhat of a PIA to do the swap.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just did this. The 05+ has a different MC bolt pattern to firewall than my 91 truck. I redrilled the master plate put new 3.8 bolts in and tacked em in place. the factory pushrod fits on the 91 brake pedal assembly fine. However if you want it to be in line-you will have about a 1/2" gap between booster and firewall. In hindsight i would have placed the new bolts 1/2" lower on the backing plate.

Also, the new SD pushrod is a little longer than the obs one, so it needs to be spaced out form the firewall about 1/4" or the MC wont retract fully and wont suck more fluid into the lines.

I dont know the size of the fittings on the HB unit, but i know the factory 05+ hi pressure line is a direct fit into our old style PS pumps.

any other questions feel free to ask.

actually..just though of this, if you place the MC a little higher (the bolt spacing i mentioned earlier), this woudl create a slight angle on the pushrod, which might aleviate the pushrod being "too long"

edit: just saw this is for a van, so the pushrod is yet different than the pickup. but same principal.
Press the original 05+ studs out, line up on the firewall, see where your pushrod is in relation to the brake pedal, drill and put new studs in accordingly.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
been done over and over again.
search the tech articles.
i just bought one out of a 00 bus,
gonna be putting it in my MANchero

Ya I saw a ton of threads about the f450 MC and 2/350 SD MC but could not find info on the E350 Van MC, I have a chance on a cheap one so I thought I'd see if someone had used one.
Cheers it's friday!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be able to pick that van one up cheap, and sell it to a member with a van for enough to get the f-superduty booster from the correct year for your truck.... Just a thought.