0 oil pressure

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, so when i had my motor out i decided to do my oil cooler gaskets and o rings and while putting the cooler back together i cracked the cast aluminum cap that would be on the front side of the motor. i did run it and it pissed coolant out but everything else was good. so i went out and bought a used oil cooler on craigslist and it seemed great until i got my motor warmed up. i took it for a drive and once i got it up to temperature it would idle with 0 oil pressure but while i was driving it it had about 45 to 50, i have a glowshift oil pressure gauge do i wasnt just going with the gauge in the dash. but at idle both dropped down to no oil pressure. is there a valve that can be replaced while the oil cooler is in the truck? im almost positive the oil pressure has to do with the new/used oil cooler i have installed

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be the bypass valve, could be the pressure regulator.
Could be from the cheap gauge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my question is can any of these valves be replaced with the cooler in the truck or am i just better off using the filter housing off my old oil cooler that worked before

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The valve that matters, regulator, cannot be replaced in truck. The bypass just goes around the filter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly you installed a used COMPLETE oil cooler as I read your post. My only suggestion to fix this is remove the rear oil cooler head that the filter connects to and use the original header there. Look at your original filter end header. See the small round disc that is against the block when installed.. That is the oil pressure regulator. Under the filter mount is the bypass if the filter iver gets plugged up. Engineers felt that dirty oil is better than no oil so they built the bypass. Many if not all engines have a bypass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online