E-Fuel Conversion and New IP!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
monday i got my lift pump. just waiting on a couple fittings. will get those today. i will be getting the pump installed and the wiring harness run. if all goes well i should be able to start it today. i still have my old IP on there(new one isn't here yet). i want to start it up with the old ip to see what happens with the return line caps and such. be cool if i had a timing meter to see if the timing holds steady as well.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
way way overengineered but if it tickles your pickle rock on man. my pump is rated at 115 gph (which is more than the truck could ever consume) and a pressure of 6 psi. I am into the e fuel system all of about 50 bucks. pump is a procomp I found on ebay, been runnin for nearly 7 years and I have only had to pull it apart and clean the bypass assembly a couple times.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
got everything with the e-fuel buttoned up a while ago and went to start annnnnnnnnnnnnndddddd........

It ran great, not a single return line/cap leaked a drop of fuel!!!!! Everything went good really. only took a small diesel bath when i cut the metal line along the frame to "splice" in the e-pump. wiring was easy and smooth. the truck ran for about 10 min and i gave it a few easy revs. revved good, idled great. restarted great.

I took a bunch of pics of the pump and such. i will upload those tomorrow so hang tight.:D

it did scare the living **** out of me though. when i first cycled the key and the pump ran, after a few seconds i hear this loud "girgling" noise, shut the key off. looked around, nothing leaking. sounded like it was coming from the rear of the truck. went and got my mom, had her stand at the rear of the truck. turns out it was just the fuel/air from the return circuit dumping back into the tank.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well theres another happy electric pump convert. Things are so much easier when we change from the mechanical pumps to the electric pumps. The batteries last longer. The starter sure lasts longer. No more having to crank to get fuel purged thru the filter when its changed. Running the pump for a few seconds before a start will purge any air from the system too. If you still have that air bleeder on the filter head thats a great place to purge trapped air from. That line is only for air trapped in the filter head or from a low tank that sucked air. It flows towards the fuel tanks. Not back from the return lines like some have speculated it di. I never had this valve on my filter head. so I installed a new one from Oregon fuel Injection... Second best thing I have ever done for my engine fuel system.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing sweeter than an engine that jumps to life when you touch the key. Sometimes I can't let go of the key fast enough because the engine is up and running so quickly. Its instant lite off..:thumbsup:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i got bored and decided to upload pics now lol. here they are.....

return from the reg is the one with the plastic loom on it...
You must be registered for see images

another pic of it..

relay mounted to the drivers side inner fender. the ground with the yellow connector is the e-pumps ground, i wanted a solid ground that would stay CLEAN for that baby...

some more of the relay...tapped into the main power feed for the fuse box for my constant 12VDC for the pump relay...

inline fuse for the constant 12VDC power...

swtiched 12VDC mooching off the FSS...

supply line from frame rail.....

supply line into the regulator...

New fitting for the reg>filter head. much better than what i had before....3/8" NPT>1/4"NPT...

the e-pump mounted to the frame rail right behind the trans cross-member....

'bout it for now. when i get my fuel pressure gauge mounted i will post a pic of that as well. it is all wired up, just waiting on the mounting cup.

i have that plastic loom stuff on all the rubber fuel hose and all(as much as possible) wiring. i even went as far as running the wire for my pressure gauge in with the FACTORY engine harness LOL. it was actually easier than i though it would be and didn't take long at all. it took me probly an hour and a half to install everything for the pressure gauge on monday, but that is because while looking for matches(no cig lighter) for the heat shrink tubing, i stumbled upon some fire crackers. they had my name written all over them. needless to say the truck got put on hold for a few min LOL.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
quick little update. got my fuel pressure gauge mounted. the old IP is also sitting on the bench now. my new IP was sent out yesterday morning. hopefully will see that tuesday. Can't wait to drive this thing with the new injection pump. it's gonna be a beast. will be cool to actually have the turbo light without going nearly WOT. LMAO

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious to see how that IP works out for you. Continue to keep us posted with that. You have done some nice work to that truck starting with your headgasket job ;Sweet.

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job! I'll be interested in how that pump works too. I recently installed a airtex pump but I'm not happy with it. I don't have a gauge on the system but feel it's not putting out the 7-12 psi it's supposed to. Looking for a better pump.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job! I'll be interested in how that pump works too. I recently installed a airtex pump but I'm not happy with it. I don't have a gauge on the system but feel it's not putting out the 7-12 psi it's supposed to. Looking for a better pump.

If you are thinking about putting a mechanical gauge under the hood near the filter base, please don't go cheap. I made the mistake of installing a Mr. Gasket cheap fuel pressure gauge in place of the schrader valve. It was 12 at night when it decided to bust, leaving me stranded near the rice fields just south of Chico. It must have dumped out about 5 gallons of fuel all over my engine and had to wait for my buddy to bring his tools to come to the rescue. That gauge only made it about 120 miles before it let loose. That was quite the night right there haha

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
much to my surprise i got my R&D IP today in the mail!!!! went out and installed it. install went good. seems to idle smoother than with the old IP. Runs strong. runs about 5psi of boost. i went nearly WOT twice and hit maybe 9psi. on the EGT front......let's just say i won't/can't tow anything........i can hit 900*F just getting up to 55mph and that is not getting on it hard. i am also very happy to report that there is no more smoke than there was with the old pump(hardly an at all).

On another note.....I EFFING HATE THE TCM FOR THE E4OD!!!! I can't get on the throttle hard right now b/c the trans won't shift unless i let off the throttle. i hit probly 3400, nearly 3500 rpm and wasn't even WOT. need to adjust the TPS more. will work on that Wednesday.

Even though i am only running 5psi-cuss-cuss, it still feels like twice the truck as it did before. i am sure my wg needs adjusting but seeing as how EGT's will prevent me from getting on it hard, there is no point in messing with the WG right now. I NEED AN INTERCOOLER IN A VERY BAD WAY!!!! Local J/Y had a 7.3 superduty, will have to call them or stop by and see how much they want for the IC. fix the TPS, IC it, crank the fuel, dial in the WG, and this thing would be an absolute beast!!!

The e-fuel is awesome btw, still no leaks in the return system and i have about .5-1psi fuel pressure drop when getting o it!

That's about all i can think of right now. As of my short drive today i am happy with my e-fuel choice and my IP choice!!!!!!!

Last edited: