E-Fuel Conversion and New IP!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cant use galvanized fittings with diesel. The coating comes off and ruins things. Black iron or SS.

Don't forget BRASS! BRASS is ok too... ;Poke

I like what I'm seeing here, I too have the same concern that the excess by passed fuel will back up the IP with pressure as the return lines are smaller than feed lines. I'm wondering if a check valve is in order myself. However even that can cause issues with IP if the pressure to overcome the check valve is too much.

Might be an idea to contact the pump builder and find out what the return lines restriction max PSI can be before any issues arrise that could potentially cause problems with your new IP.

Anyway, still likeing this a great deal and await figures and data and reports on how it all works together!

Al

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ah, crap!!! thanks for letting me know about the galvanized fittings. i will get brass ones for that.

i have talked to Justin about this "issue" and he did some math and found that the added pressure in the return lines is only gonna be a couple/few PSI more than what it is now. also, we are a more concerned about the pressure blowing out the return line cap o-rings.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use brass, you will need to support the regulator or it will break off from vibration. You should have it supported anyway.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i also have this thread on FTE and here is some info about the return system.....
I think there is a lot of people getting confused about the "high pressure" part of this pump setup. Its only a High pressure pump because its capable of high pressure, not because its always going to run high pressure. If you were to deadhead the pump, yes, you would have high pressure, however, that is the whole point of the bypass regulator. The fuel pump will have a constant supply of 70+gph circulating, and the regulator determines the pressure of the supply to the IP, the only pressure on the return side is going to be caused by the restriction in the return system.

Even if the return necked down to 1/4" in some spots, it would take 180gph to cause 8psi in the return system, and that is if the IP was using no fuel. 70gph should only put a couple of psi on the return system, and it should handle that just fine. (If we have any engineers here that would like to check those numbers, that would be great)

The FSV would only be seeing as much pressure as the regulator was set to, and it should be able to handle 6'ish PSI no problem.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
that all looks like its out in the way. vibration might snap it off. fuel pump is a little overkill?

Black dawg

Reaction score
On my truck at 2k in park, return line pressure was 2 psi.(selector on rear tank) Slowly pinching the return line would kill the engine when the needle would hit 4 psi.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
On my truck at 2k in park, return line pressure was 2 psi.(selector on rear tank) Slowly pinching the return line would kill the engine when the needle would hit 4 psi.

where did you have the gauge at? go for a drive and see what the pressure is......there is no load on the engine in park...

Black dawg

Reaction score
where did you have the gauge at? go for a drive and see what the pressure is......there is no load on the engine in park...

gauge was between return fitting at injection pump and the hardline that goes to the back of the engine. And yes, no load. I was trying to diagnose an intermittent stall after switching tanks. Bad tank valve was partially blocking return intermittently and stalling engine. My numbers above were after a good valve was installed.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
gauge was between return fitting at injection pump and the hardline that goes to the back of the engine. And yes, no load. I was trying to diagnose an intermittent stall after switching tanks. Bad tank valve was partially blocking return intermittently and stalling engine. My numbers above were after a good valve was installed.

thank you ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin