4 speed to ZF5 swap

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That`s a new one. Never heard of auto and manual Starters.
Ford, at least, did have them. I know that they were on the Windsor line of small blocks. The nose cone was different lengths. Not for the IDIs though.
I should probably also buy a new clutch while it’s apart even though it seems to have plenty of life left right
That would be the smartest thing to do.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Can confirm its a thing for other cars. Vw does it.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know on the gas manual with a cast iron bellhousing that the starter nose cone is shorter, you can use a manual starter on an auto with no issues. However the auto starter nose cone will hit the bellhousing about a half inch before reaching the mounting surface.

I'm may be mistaken but if my memory serves me correctly even the gas applications were no longer trans specific between the auto and zf5. Unsure about the m5od or newer 4spd applications though.

I haven't ran into any auto to manual differences on the idi or 7.3 powerstroke starters .

James

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I talked with the young guy who has the swap parts today.
The only concern I have is he said it came out of a fast 7.3..I then said what do you mean like heavily modified and he said he didn’t really know but that it was a fast truck in town..97 powerstroke
Should I pass?

It’s also been apart before because it had rtv at all the seams.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Orange rtv alert!!!!!

Actually that shouldn't be a problem, thats just the mating surface between the t case and the transmission itself. Makes it a butt to get apart, but also prevents them from loosening up.

The green on the t case output housing makes me think it was a wrecking yard part at one point. Evidence of the rtv makes it more likely for me.

I dunno. I'd probably get it and use it in a pinch.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about the wrecking yard.

Thing is he has the whole set up and my tranny is acting up.

Rebuild or manual swap! Still debating

Is the triple disk really necessary? A nice oem quality single disk is $650 triple disk is $1400

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If its any help with your debate, I used a regular single disk tq converter in my in laws pickup when I built it for them. They use it to haul an in bed camper around that weighs about 3400 lbs full and it does just fine. I told them to just turn off thr O/D when doing big hills. Their engine is 100% stock.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is the triple disk really necessary? A nice oem quality single disk is $650 triple disk is $1400

If its any help with your debate, I used a regular single disk tq converter in my in laws pickup when I built it for them. They use it to haul an in bed camper around that weighs about 3400 lbs full and it does just fine. I told them to just turn off thr O/D when doing big hills. Their engine is 100% stock.
I agree with Nero here. If you're going to use your truck like this, then I don't see any need to go for the high dollar convertor. If you're going to be towing heavy every so often, then it would probably be a good upgrade. Think of it as insurance. You buy it just in case (the laws aside). Then if you ever need it, you'll be glad that you paid for it.
I'm not trying to push you in either direction, just answering a question. I'm also no transmission expert, so what I say should be taken as my opinion only and may not be 100% correct.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll tell ya this then..when I do use my truck I usually am towing with it. My enclosed tool trailer weighs about 7,800 lbs, I have plans to tow my tiny house this year..but yeah it’s not driven unless hauling usually.

So maybe a manual swap would be more beneficial in the long run

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found yet another swap kit. He doesn’t have the correct drive shafts for a cclb but he has everything else. 97 Zf5 and it’s been rebuilt at some point based on the tags (seller says) 150k miles and he’s asking $2500 compared to $1500 with driveshafts

But the other seller doesn’t know about miles and like I said it came from a fast 7.3.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You could ask the $1500 seller if he could pop the drain plug loose, see what the fluid looks like. If its not shiny and glittery its probably fine.
My transmission came off a truck with a big lift kit, huge tires, beat to hell, bad dual mass flywheel, dusted engine, so it was definitely abused. Still doesn't skip a beat to this day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online