Hard start, not fuel return[?]

MadMac

Reaction score
Unless your truck's upside down, the fuel filter should be higher than the separator.
Which explains why the filter is up on a pedestal above the lift pump, given my separator’s location between the fender and the brake booster. I scratched my head over this many times.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. just pulled 3 of the glow plugs. they're all new ZD28. they're all bad.

I guess its nice to find 'the problem'.
Not nice the brand new plugs a shop charged me an arm and a leg to replace apparently all went bad immediately, and for reasons yet unknown...

although, even on hot days the starting is the same. thought we weren't supposed to need the glow plugs when its hot out?
These engines are indirect injection, they need pre glowing.
It's only Direct Injection engines that don't need pre glowing with temperatures above freezing.

vagabond0351

Reaction score
Hopefully a conclusion on this thread, and info for anyone who comes along to read after:

She just started up from overnight cold, ambient temp about 65F, with 5 seconds on the new glow plugs. I still have the auto controller disconnected using only manual switch for now, but still seems like nothing was wrong with auto. To note, it took around 6 seconds of cranking, but I hadn't reprimed the injector lines after pulling the drivers side fuel rail again(because i can hardly ever get the thing on without cutting an oring), and I hadnt reconnected the accelerator cable yet either so no extra injector pump either.

Also, I tried to use the new injector lines at first (package from Chinese ebay seller had STARdiesel (italy) sticker on it, but some of the bends were completely wrong(more than just massaging into alignment) so I'm back on the oem lines, returning the new ones.

Engine already seems to run better, presumably from russ's injectors. Between the old ones being mismatched and re-seated and probably leaking, I have high hopes.

Thank you again to everyone who posted here. Who knows how long I would have kept on my wild goose chase for a fuel/air leak, having assumed a "reputable" diesel shop knew what they were doing. You want something done right, you ask the experienced, then do it yourself.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's a pity, quality (whatever) is more and more difficult to get, most of the time you still find knowledge and a good work ethos with paps and **** shops, but these people often retire (logic) and then dissapear to the eternal mechanic fields :)

and most young people think that they can fix it with a portable phone, boy are they wrong :-(

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I still have the auto controller disconnected using only manual switch for now, but still seems like nothing was wrong with auto.
Only my opinion here, but I will never run a 6.9 style glow plug set up with automatic control. Between the controllers reputation of failing in the on position and the general lack of quality of parts these days, it's just to great of a risk for me to take. I also won't bad mouth anyone who disagrees with me on this one.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Only my opinion here, but I will never run a 6.9 style glow plug set up with automatic control. Between the controllers reputation of failing in the on position and the general lack of quality of parts these days, it's just to great of a risk for me to take. I also won't bad mouth anyone who disagrees with me on this one.
I agree with this, but I wont use the 6.9 plugs with manual control either, just asking for getting to warranty a set of plugs.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I have gone through 4 winters with the 6.9 plugs and a manual switch.
So far so good. Haven`t checked them as of yet, but this Fall when Iam getting ready for winter again, (IE going through the whole electrical system) thinking to remove them for a visual check of the ends, and to see how hot the ends get with 12V applied. (check ends, IE to see if any swelling)

They may pass the OHM test, but may not be getting as hot as when new.
But then Iam not as Hot as I was when new either, at least Iam still warm. :sly

Goat

MadMac

Reaction score
I agree with @IDIBRONCO 100%, nube and bad wrench that I am. Mine was a bad choice about which was more reliable - my family and friends being able to run the manual GPs without screwing it up, or the controller going bad. Both have significant risks, and shrug as I might, my choice was that marginal hardware had less risk.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Mine was a bad choice about which was more reliable - my family and friends being able to run the manual GPs without screwing it up, or the controller going bad. Both have significant risks,
And there's the exception to the rule.
I guess I have gone through 4 winters with the 6.9 plugs and a manual switch.
So far so good.
Same here although I think it may have been five.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don`t loan out your truck, problem solved.
There is U-Haul rental if your friends need a truck.
If you do loan it out, and they fill up your tank for the use
of it...oh by the way, it is making this funny noise....
Or I couldn`t get it started this morning, I cranked and cranked
on it this morning, and then the Batteries died.....
Another thing, a lot of people look at it as, "OH it`s just a truck"
and treat it with that mind set, especially one of these IDI`s, or
even the gassers from our time period .
It has that anti theft device, you know, that metal rod with the knob
on the end?

Now Wife, or kids (driving age) that`s a different story, I like
sleeping indoors and being fed, but kids can be grounded.
Mama has her own car so not a problem, and the 86 is my DD,
and Iam not walking.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online