ZF5 Trans swap

fireman624

Reaction score
Came across a couple of ZF5 4wd transmissions and a transfer case.My F350 is a two wheel drive at the moment.(Still looking for front axle donor) Just wondering if anyone has done this swap? What might be involved as far as mounts,yoke or driveshaft mods,what about shifter hole in floor pan? I probabaly wont worry about the 4wd drive shifter for now, just hook up some sort of electric shift for now, :draw (2wd with low range if I need it) :Any helpful info would be great,trying to plan ahead a little.Thanks. : ;burnout

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swapped from a T-19 to a ZF5 last summer. But, I already had 4 wheel drive...because of this, and the fact that the 4WD T-19 and the 4WD ZF5 are the same length, I did not have to do anything with the driveshafts.

You WILL need a new floor pan insert. The good news is, it literally is an insert...so, all you need to do is remove the one that's in there now (after getting the carpet out of the way) and put the new one in there. You'll also need a new transmission crossmember. Other than that and a clutch kit (and all the stuff for converting to 4x4), you should be good to go.

I'm on my way out at the moment; otherwise, I'd give more info...I should be back Monday evening, though. I'll post a longer response then. I'm working on a write-up on the transmission swap as well, so I have a LOT of pictures from when I did the job.

Believe me, the swap was worthwhile!!!

82fordtruck

Reaction score
you shouldn't have any real issues except the driveshaft, just hang the t case and let it be there. I'd cut the hole, it's probably a lot easier and more reliable than anything else.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
I'd cut the hole, it's probably a lot easier and more reliable than anything else.
Not just a matter of a hole, unfortunately. Take a look here. I forgot that I had posted pics until just now...can't do much more yet, since I'm still not home (long story)...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the front axle out is going to be harder than doing the driveline work. You can use a Bronco front IFS with your coil springs no problem.

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
Here fireman624, where are you located, and would you be willing to sell or trade or give, etc any of the extra zf-5s to a fellow firefighter. I just got a 1993 F-250 4x4 and the E40D is shot in it. I hate automatics and I can't wait to get back into a manaul. I am trying to get up the courage to just do the swap instead of getting the current tranny rebuilt. I just got a job at autozone and I am hoping that I can get good quality parts for cheap (discount). The tranny's on ebay are rediculous. The want $1800 for a rebuilt one plus a core. I can get the tranny in my truck pulled rebuilt and reininstalled with a warantee for less than $1500. I can actaully get the tranny rebuilt for like $150 if I do the pull and reinstall and ship the tranny to Illinois. Let me know if got an extra one and you are somewhat close.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726