zf5 tranny question

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
art the main tranny case length the same between the 2 wheel drive and the 4wd . and are the output shaft the same length? found a f450 parking brake assembly today

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am 95% certain that the F-superduty trans w/ parking brake is the same unit as a 4wd trans, but not completely sure. Towcat would know.

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess my question is are the tranny the same other than the tailhousings?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 100% a f450 with a parking brake is a 4x4 tranny. I have 3 of them. I am 98% sure the main case are the same length between a 2wd and 4wd version of the same trans

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm trying to figure out if i can put a 4wd tailhousing on a two wheel drive zf5. if i can i just need to find a 4wd tailhousing

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are asking about the F-superduty then?

2wd and 4wd output shafts are different. I think the front case is the same, so you could in theory put a 4wd rear half on, but changing that around means you'd need to redo all the thrust clearances in the trans, plus the main shaft not being the same.

The superduty trans is actually a 4wd trans with the parking brake slapped on so it works as a 2wd.... different animal than the regular 2wd trans.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I'm 100% a f450 with a parking brake is a 4x4 tranny. I have 3 of them. I am 98% sure the main case are the same length between a 2wd and 4wd version of the same trans

You are correct, all F-Superduty's got the 4x4 transmission regardless if they are 2wd or 4wd.

But I think for 1 ton and smaller trucks, you cant use a 4x4 transmission in a 2wd like you can the F-Superduty unless you pull the case apart and swap tail shafts. I am also not sure what they did to the 4x4 tranny to work in a 2wd F-Superduty or if it is setup in a way to which they didn't have to mess with it.

EDIT: He beat me to it.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they just put a parking brake on a 4x4 and said "ta da!" Since they are disc brake rear and needed a parking brake to be legal. And they had 2 version instead of 3. And yes the main shafts are different lengths

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i was trying to find out. i trying to put 4wd tailhousing on 2wd tranny so i could use f450 parking brake

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I think they just put a parking brake on a 4x4 and said "ta da!" Since they are disc brake rear and needed a parking brake to be legal. And they had 2 version instead of 3. And yes the main shafts are different lengths

What is actually different between the 2wd and 4wd s42's and 47's?

Like is it just the fact that the main shaft is a different length and something is different with the parking brake or what?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Since I have a F450 Superduty ZF 5 speed with the parking brake, the above information will be filed away for rebuild time so I can source the right parts.

The parking brake tail housing is apparently made by Ford from pure gold with diamond plating based on the price for replacement parts.. sheeeeeeeeesh...

Anyone come across one as surplus keep me in mind, I wouldn't mind having a spare.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What is actually different between the 2wd and 4wd s42's and 47's?

Like is it just the fact that the main shaft is a different length and something is different with the parking brake or what?

There isn't a parking brake assembly for a 2wd model zf.
The f-super trans with brake is the exact same trans you'd find in a ¾/1 ton 4x4.

Main shaft is the main difference.

42 vs 47 is not important. Only difference there is ratio's.
2wd vs 4wd is what makes the real difference.

Want a parts diagram to help understand?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
There isn't a parking brake assembly for a 2wd model zf.
The f-super trans with brake is the exact same trans you'd find in a ¾/1 ton 4x4.

Main shaft is the main difference.

42 vs 47 is not important. Only difference there is ratio's.
2wd vs 4wd is what makes the real difference.

Want a parts diagram to help understand?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Yes I would. It had one in my parts book but it was kind of hard to go by when you don't know what you are looking at LOL.

What do the 2wd ZF's do for parking brake?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online