zf5 tail shaft housing question

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was just simply wondering if the tail shaft housing on the zf5 was a separate replaceable part or if the whole transmission housing was one body? Have not spent much time around these lately, and cannot remember. It is 4+4 as well. I know the rear housing on the nv4500 is a separate unit but doesn't help me in this situation. Thanks guys!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes and no.
It can be swapped, but the whole Trans has to come apart to do so. All the shafts are connected to the rear housing.
Is the mount broken?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a truck I'm looking into buying and have not physically seen the damage! He says the tail shaft housing is broken, but I'm not entirely sure what is going on at the moment! Just know these trans. are pretty spendy, and am looking into my options before diving into anything! Thanx for the help! I will likely drive out tomorrow and see the pickup and will know more at that point?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, okay. Pics of the damage would be good.
But most likely a whole Trans will be in order.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm even asking this, but I'm out of touch with the IDI world lately,(went to the dark side and have had a cummins for several years now! but I'm wising up)! What year did ford start putting factory turbo on? ……94???

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I know 94 had them for sure, but I think started in 93.
Remember the powerstroke started in 94.5. But the Trans and Tcase are still the same from 88-97 in the diesels.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was kind of leaning toward 93 as well but could not remember! Thank you for the help!

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I know 94 had them for sure, but I think started in 93.
Remember the powerstroke started in 94.5. But the Trans and Tcase are still the same from 88-97 in the diesels.

Unless you were a 96 or 97 guys that got that massive 4407 Tcase?? I think??

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
93.5 to 94.5 for the Factory Turbo. In the 1994 model year, there were 3 diesel engine choices.

7.3L IDI N/A
7.3L IDI Factory Turbo
7.3L PSD DI and Turbo of course.

One thing to keep in mind. If the truck is a 1994 and has the E4OD Automatic, it IS an IDI. Maybe turbo maybe not, but almost certainly an IDI. They ONLY offered the ZF-5 behind the 7.3 PSD in 94, no auto option on the PSD in 94.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the 5 speed manuals in the gas trucks the same tranny, or at least the shell? I have access to one, but was not sure if it would help me out at all?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bolt pattern for the engine is wrong. A 460 case can be modded to fit an IDI. Several have done it. Search typ4 mod and you should find it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The gear ratio is also different in the gasser ZF-5. Some actually like the gasser gears better behind the IDI than the IDI ones. That is something to keep in mind also.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I'd wager it ripped the trans mount off the tailhousing. I did that to a few ZFs in my 460 truck... Cracked main cases too. Used to change ZF5s annually for one failure or another, fragile things. Not sure but I'd guess tailhousings swap between any ZF5. Never bothered with all the work involved though. I've seen two different types of housings, one has a slightly stronger trans mount pad, but it'll rip off just the same with enough torque. I'd be surprised if it many people are running IDIs with enough torque to harm a ZF5 though.

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its major pita but i know of a place have to get the name they sell the tail housing for under 250 and they have all the parts great place.you need a puller press and ratchet strap to get back together thats the hardest part. take lots of pics

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online