Zf5 manual Replace tail housing w transmission in truck.

Jbone36

Reaction score
First off thanks Russ from typ4 for coming thru with new tail housing. Can thank you enough for the help.

So im trying to get this replaced without taking it out but im sure theres plenty of reasons it has to come out. Its just the guy thats helping me keeps saying why?

Also anyone know a good write up on replacing the tail housing? "89 ZF5 4wd 7.3 thanks.

Jbone36

Reaction score
Doing more reading, yes it seems trans has to come out being rear loaded transmission. So because everything is attached inside but is there a way to slide it out remove rear alan bolts attaching inside assembly and replace rear tail? Or will the whole thing explode if i try?

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I fear you cannot adequately support the 'guts' for alignment to slide on the new rear case half.

I recently did an overhaul on a jeep 6 speed... Similar construction. Arrange the transmission vertical (bellhousing down) to work through it.

Jbone36

Reaction score
I fear you cannot adequately support the 'guts' for alignment to slide on the new rear case half.

I recently did an overhaul on a jeep 6 speed... Similar construction. Arrange the transmission vertical (bellhousing down) to work through it.
Thanks for the reply. Yea decided to just pull it out and figure it out with a rebuild manual. Its gotta get put back together and work eventually.

Jbone36

Reaction score
After more research theres no way for the sake of time, lack of tools and location of truck i can pull off a full rebuild of transmission. Prewty surw springs would fly off into the bushes. But... If you check out this video at 4:35
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
when the casing is slipped off. My thoughts are i can find a way to keep all the parts together and install them on replacement tail housing. Assuming transmission out of truck of course. Is it possible? Thanks just trying to see my options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online