zf5 swap

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so went to the yard to price out everything for the zf5 swap
so heres what i got tranny and clutch 250
hydro boost and manual pedal assembly 40

so hopefully ill pics it up with in 2 months when its warm and i have time to pull it.

so for the hydroboost can you swap the fsd steering gear to the 250 frame? or should i just drill and tap the 250s gear or will the hydro lines just go to the ps somehow?

also does the zf5 have the same setup for the speedo? main reason to get r done is speedo gear in the t case is shot and i dont wanna tear into a tcase. so if i can swap sensors or not would be helpful

and its an 88 bs so i know the clutch assembly will work but things on the list is
tranny
clutch
clutch pedal assy
clutch master and slave
and the line between

did i miss anything?

also if anyone has a divorced 205 for a good price ill be looking for one too

so im thinking with the driveline parking brake and a 205 with a zf5 the drive train will be bullet proof

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one in middletown somewhere idr the name

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The power steering lines will have to be changed, at least on mine they did. Part numbers are in the parts bin. You will also need the dual return resevoir for your ps pump. Some have t'd the line, but I've seen post about not so good of results. I bought the resevoir from Ford, new it was like $30 or so IIRC.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can ya post me a few pics of it?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering lines get rearranged. On a hydroboost setup, the pressure line from the pump goes up to the hydroboost unit, then back down to the steering box, still using a high pressure line. Then there are return lines from both the steering box and hydroboost unit back to the pump, requiring 2 return line ports in the power steering pump. The only difference is in the plastic housing thing that hangs off of the back of the PSP. It can be changed without even removing the PSP from the truck.
If you're switching pedals out anyway, you should use the brake pedal off of the hydroboosted truck - the pin is 3/4" higher resulting in less pedal pressure.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya ill be doing it all at once so ya
youre saying the resivor is different but gear is the same??

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so id only need the resivior then for the pump sweet