ZF5 swap question

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
I have a ZF% I'm swapping into my t-19 truck (see sig). Unfortunately the transmission came with the rear mount, but only a shred of torched off crossmember:mad:
I've spent quite a while tryng to use the old crossmember, with either the new mount, the new mount in backwards, or the old mount...no workie!
Local junkyards don't seem to have any manual trucks...is the crossmermber the same for the e40d as the ZF5? Could it be that easy? Or will I have to start cutting and welding? Thanks

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the answer but If you are in no hurry I'm might be able to sell you one off my parts truck? or tow cat or someone on the left coast might be able to help you out?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drilled new holes in the frame to move the old T-19 crossmember back about an inch on mine.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I just drilled new holes in the frame to move the old T-19 crossmember back about an inch on mine.

I believe the crossmembers are the same, just need to use a different hole, on the 88 truck we went from zf5-t-19 but used the t-19 crossmember.
I have a zf one here from the 88.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
I wonder if I have a later model ZF5 and if that's part of my issue. It bolts up fine to the transfer case, and the drivelines work out ok... but the t-19 crossmember interferes with the back of the transmission:mad:

The t-19 crossmember has a different type of mount on it, than the one that came with the ZF. The crossmember has an unused set of holes that are the right spacing for the newer mount. But they are about 1.5" too far forward. At first I thought I could just redrill them, but the crossmember clearly will have to be notched as well. If it was easier to redrill all the holes in the frame ( if for instance that pesky body was out of the way) you could just relocate the whole crossmember back that 1.5" and it would be great. I'm unwilling to delete the brackets on the crossmember that tie it into the top of the frame.
Well I guess I will cut and weld today...Wish me luck.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
only difference from late model to early model is the mount on the trans, but I just think that is a small difference in the width of the holes,.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online