Zf5 questions and other tranny possibilities?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the zf5 be re geared to be more performance based for acceleration? I dont use my truck to tow hardly ever and its light weight stuff. It is usually driven like i stole it cause its fun but id like a usable 1st gear. 2nd gear is fun bit it runs out quick also.
Next question is will any other trans bolt up to our trucks 4spd or 5?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but you can regear the rear end. The shop truck has 3.55s and 33” tires, and I can go near 50 mph in second at 4000 rpms

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but you can regear the rear end. The shop truck has 3.55s and 33” tires, and I can go near 50 mph in second at 4000 rpms

I have 3.55 gears factory size tires. What gear choice would be more usable for acceleration with the zf5? 4k rpm thats high man i dont like taking mine past 3k 3500 and it doesnt seem to like it to much.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trucks not very stock and I built this engine to handle it, look up an online gearing calculator and use that to figure out what kind of gears you want then compare that to what’s available. Generally, a higher number (gear ratio) will have battery acceleration but sacrifice top speed and make the gears feel shorter. Smaller numbers will have slower acceleration but you will be able to achieve more speed in each gear. Something to consider, the taller your gearing the more mechanical leverage your drivetrain has to overcome or has acting against it.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trucks not very stock and I built this engine to handle it, look up an online gearing calculator and use that to figure out what kind of gears you want then compare that to what’s available. Generally, a higher number (gear ratio) will have battery acceleration but sacrifice top speed and make the gears feel shorter. Smaller numbers will have slower acceleration but you will be able to achieve more speed in each gear. Something to consider, the taller your gearing the more mechanical leverage your drivetrain has to overcome or has acting against it.

I understand numerical gear selection but if i have 3.55 with the zf5 gearing what would make the trans lean more towards mustang style 5 speed say a t5 trans.
If i went up numerically in axle gearing it would cause 1st and 2nd gear to be more useless unless towing.
You think 3.27 3.08 axle gearing would help with what i want or is the trans geard so far down in 1st and 2nd that im chasing a pipe dream?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Actually sounds like you want a gas trans, take a look at the ratios for a 460. You can redrll a 460 trans bellhousing which has a wider ratio spread. Also another possibility there are different ratios in the diesel ZF5's. The ZF42 has a higher (faster in gear) 1st than the ZF47, but there are other options too, need to find a ZF5 ratio chart......

I like the ZF42 ratios with 3.55's and 33 inch tires.

Depending on how serious you are there a lot of choices, you could run a 6.9 4 speed bellhousing with a lot of different trans.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some reading and im pretty sure im beating a dead horse. I dont want a granny gear at all and making that happen would be stupid in cost. It was worth asking.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some reading and im pretty sure im beating a dead horse. I dont want a granny gear at all and making that happen would be stupid in cost. It was worth asking.
You can just start in 2nd gear like the rest of us... :D and if you swap out for 3.08 airplane gears I call dibs on your 3.55's!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i had to use 1st gear every time i came to a stop i would have already sold the truck lol.

Never researched it, but could you use a 4 speed bellhousing from a 6.9 and use that to adapt one of the car type 5 or 6 speeds? Of course you would have to figure the pilot diameter, shaft lengths, and adapt a clutch disc in there to fit the splines of the new transmission. Adapting the trans to the 6.9 bellhousing might just be simply re-drilling holes or making a adapter plate.

P.S. I am assuming you are 2wd.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never researched it, but could you use a 4 speed bellhousing from a 6.9 and use that to adapt one of the car type 5 or 6 speeds? Of course you would have to figure the pilot diameter, shaft lengths, and adapt a clutch disc in there to fit the splines of the new transmission. Adapting the trans to the 6.9 bellhousing might just be simply re-drilling holes or making a adapter plate.

P.S. I am assuming you are 2wd.

Yes im 2wd but man thats a lot more work than i want to mess with.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the tag on your transmission to see what ratio it is now? They make a close and wide ratio for them. I have a 93 dually that when I bought it had a wide ratio it was no good for heavy hauling, had transmission problems so regeared it to a close ratio, now it will pull , dropped a gear overall.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put an Advance Adaptors Ranger Gear splitter into my '85 F-350. Gives you 27% overdrive and the ability to split every gear, so 8 forward, 2 reverse. Works great for both pulling and highway running. In 4-High, the truck cruises at 2250 RPM @ 65 mph with the rather deep 4.56:1 gearset in the rear, and you can still drop down to 4-Low to pull a battleship off it's moorings.

I had a hard time finding a good ZF 5 speed, so this was a viable option. The downside is it pushes the main transmission back about 7 inches, so that means cutting the floor and carpet, shortening the driveshaft, and lengthening the speedo cable. It also comes with straight cut gears, so it is a bit noisy, but a good synthetic gear lube helped that out quite a bit.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...tter-overdrive-27-with-a-5125-retainer-index/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online