ZF-5 conversion, cost comparison

fairlane_68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's been done by folks here, this is why I'm asking. I know most of the parts needed to do the swap, as well as the labor involved. But what is the cost of swapping out an E4OD for a ZF-5, in a 4x4? Yes, it's for my Bronco, not a diesel, but I'm researching whether a trans swap would be more economical than buying a truck already equipped with one, and leaving it at that. There are plenty of trucks available locally that are either gassers or 7.3's with manual transmissions, or even automatics, that I'm considering. The engine in my Bronco is fairly young. Not even 20K miles. A diesel swap is out of the question.

Can the whole job be done in a weekend? What issues are to be expected? Should I buy a transmission with a transfer case already attached? I've found a ZF-5 on Ebay out of a 5.8L F-250 4x4 for about $700. Is that a good benchmark price? Does it require a different starter? Are the bellhousing bolts for a manual trans different than those for an automatic? What about driveshafts?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Yes you can do it in a weekend. On the diesel the starter is the same and so are the bell housing bolts, not sure about on the gasser.
I can't help on the overall cost since mine was a 2wd and I already owned the donor.
I did put a new clutch kit in mine which ran $207 but I'm not sure what it will cost for the gas version.
Drive shafts are another item of concern since the zf is shorter than the e4od. I bought a used drive line from a diesel CC to get the correct set up for my truck. Yours will be even more due to the 4wd.
I don't have any experience with 4wd's so hopefully someone who does can tell you if your transfer case will bolt up to the zf. If it will it might save you some cash.

robg

Reaction score
you will need at least if not more flywheel,starter, shifter,clutch pedal assy complete.with adjusting rod on slave cyl. yes ford makes one adjust for 0 endplay on pedal.you may also want a reinforcement plate for firewall behind slave.messure up your e4od & trans case do the same with zf check for correct spline on slip yoke. messurre shaft after install and cut as needed.iwould check some off road sites there may be a kit out there for what you want

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7