Yellow-Gold in Oil Fill Cap

OLD93

Dennis
Reaction score
While doing my last two oil changes there has been a yellow/gold lite film inside the oil fill cap. Took to dealer "oh thats nothing, thats normal". I believe it is antifreeze and that isnt' pretty. Could anyone else shed/share their experiences?

Thanks

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't remember there being any film other that oil on my fill cap. I will look at it when I get home tonight and let you know......

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Is there gold anywhere else or just on the cap? In the filter? On the dipstick? What about inside the valve covers?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
That tells me she's boiling moisture out of the oil - now the question is "how did the moisture get there?" i would be suspecting a head gasket or something, I want to say but don't know for sure (I'm sure others with more experience will chime in) that there is something with the injectors sealing coolant of some sort - I might be talking out the side of my head though... Ask Mel - agnem on here I think he ran into something to that effect a while back on his EX.

OLD93

Dennis
Reaction score
I didn't notice anything on dipstick or the filter even though I certainly was looking hard. It already had head gaskets, oil cooler, egr cooler replaced about 10k miles ago as it was hydrolocked one morning. Warranty is ending soon, thats what causes my parnoid actions. Thanks

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I didn't notice anything on dipstick or the filter even though I certainly was looking hard. It already had head gaskets, oil cooler, egr cooler replaced about 10k miles ago as it was hydrolocked one morning. Warranty is ending soon, thats what causes my parnoid actions. Thanks
have you sent a sample of the oil to be tested? If not do it quick, It could be left over from the hydra-lock?

OLD93

Dennis
Reaction score
thanks everyone for your thoughts. On the third visit dealership tested oil. Test dye was the result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online