Yeh, Sad Day. Rare IDI E Gone.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Off to the wrecking yard. Broadsided April 30th, then swerved into a sturdy concrete wall. She drove up onto the tow truck today.

12 good years, lots of work, but learned a lot. Many happy, clattery miles.

Was going to give up on OB, but now I think my experience and knowledge may help someone, so I'm back.

You must be registered for see images attach

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Why'd ya give up?
Sheetmeatal is easy to come by here....
Front corner seriously mashed by wall. Front door mount moved quite a bit. Windshield even cracked in corner. And body step rail under cargo door pushed in several inches. Frame may well be bent, as well.
Yeh, foolishly didn't have collision coverage. Offending driver was driving for Doordash, so Progressive denied coverage, and Doordash's insurance has been slowed, as that offending driver isn't talking to them! An overall disaster.

As for giving up, some tree branches overhung a neighboring apartment complex's parking lot, so the city's code enforcement officer visited. He also required me to remove the "inoperable" vehicle.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yeh, foolishly didn't have collision coverage. Offending driver was driving for Doordash, so Progressive denied coverage, and Doordash's insurance has been slowed, as that offending driver isn't talking to them! An overall disaster.

Ouch. That's why I have full coverage on my rotten old motorhome. It won't take much if an impact to total it due to the fiberglass walls and mostly wood framing. Only runs $57/mo with low deductables, full time RVer coverage, plus roadside for it plus the cargo trailer (and also trailer damage coverage included)

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I'd swear that the insurance companies are in some sort of cahoots with the federal government to take and destroy any older vehicles. When I t-***** a lady that pulled out in front of me in my '85 f-350the state patrolman got really angry that I called my own tow truck and would not let their contracted impound tow truck take it. Then the persons insurance company said they would have to take my truck away and I would not be getting it back and that I was to immediately surrender the title to them. I had my lawyer deal with it as at that time I was still driving the truck and needed it on the road. I wound up having to sue the person I hit to get the money for repairing my truck and their insurance company harassed me for almost a year afterwards still trying to take my truck. I am quite sure today they would have just taken the truck and left me with no choice but to surrender it to them. Stinks about your van though I think I'd have tried to sell it to an individual vs the salvage yard.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I'd swear that the insurance companies are in some sort of cahoots with the federal government to take and destroy any older vehicles. When I t-***** a lady that pulled out in front of me in my '85 f-350the state patrolman got really angry that I called my own tow truck and would not let their contracted impound tow truck take it. Then the persons insurance company said they would have to take my truck away and I would not be getting it back and that I was to immediately surrender the title to them. I had my lawyer deal with it as at that time I was still driving the truck and needed it on the road. I wound up having to sue the person I hit to get the money for repairing my truck and their insurance company harassed me for almost a year afterwards still trying to take my truck. I am quite sure today they would have just taken the truck and left me with no choice but to surrender it to them. Stinks about your van though I think I'd have tried to sell it to an individual vs the salvage yard.

How old is "old"? Back around 2015, my 93 geo metro got rear ended by a Ford minivan being used for a medical supply company, and I was pushed into a jaywalking pedestrian I had stopped for. The insurance paid $1500 to fix my car at a body shop of my choice when the car was only worth $1500. My car was drivable though, the rear bumper and plastic above it are what took the damage since the minivan did try to stop but couldn't quite fully. I had no lawyer since I was found "not at fault" by the police since it was obvious what happened and since they covered my damages I had no reason to sue. Initially they only wanted to pay $400 me based on their assessor who came and looked, but I said "no, let me get it looked at by a body shop first" so I signed nothing and refused the $400 for the time being and instead took it to a body shop and had them give me a quote. Then the insurance company agreed to the body shop in full with no argument. They were probably happy to get me out of the way since they were probably getting sued by the pedestrian.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man .. you may have just given up on your claim. I hope you got a repair estimate before sending the van away. The rule in claims is the damaged vehicle is supposed to be available during the claims process.s

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen many people in a jam when their vehicle was sitting in a row yard accruing fees and about to be auctioned off. I myself had to sit on a mangled Mercedes while I sued a trucking company and driver with code enforcement hassling me.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since other drivers ins company denied claim because he didn't state he was using the car for business it's time to file a lawsuit in small claims against the driver and door dash. Problem is you need an estimate, even if it states damage exceeds vehicle value. Also copies of the title

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Initially they only wanted to pay $400 me based on their assessor who came and looked, but I said "no, let me get it looked at by a body shop first" so I signed nothing and refused the $400 for the time being
Yep. From my experience, that's the best way to deal with insurance companies. Just tell no and deal with them on your terms. My saying is that insurance companies are the second biggest crooks in the country. Right behind the government.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
State to state it probably varies.

My rule of thumb in CA is make the claim with your insurance company even when not your fault. (If its your fault they might jerk you around a little bit.) But when Mr. or Mrs. Stupid rear ends you, your insurance company is going to roll out the red carpet for you and bill his/her's. His/her insurance company is not going to try to jerk your insurance company around because they have a legal team at their disposal!

Now you call his insurance company and all the reindeer games begin! His insurance company will call you in hours suggesting to call them right away, because they want to help you! But they just want to screw you and control costs. So make the claim with your insurance company, they are happy to fix you up and send his/hers the bill!

I have AAA and they are great to work with. My F250 gasser was stolen last year and they were fair about the value.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Sorry to her about your van. I went thu a similar insurance fiasco with USAA, and got nothing out of them, despite not being at fault.

I may be cutting loose an IDI van in a few months. In great shape, and a lot of extras. I'll be dead and gone long before I can use up the ones I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online