yeah, she's runnin a little bit hot tonight

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i can barely see the road from the heat comin off...

anyway, i was sitting in the Wendy's drive thru and the needle pegges at hot. i know i know stock gueages suck butthis truck seems to like to heat up at idle. my old IDI cooled way down if i let it idle.

this trucxk i can tow full bore and it cools fine, but if i let it idle it seems like it wants to get hot. someone suggested a bad coolant mix. any other ideas? it has a new water pump already.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
fan engages well, i hear it all the time. whooooosh

i should say when i'm underway it engages. at idle i guess it may not kick in. i'll have to look in to that.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Really, that is kinda weird. My truck is the total opposite. When I get into town, I'll be around 190-195*, and then driving through town it'll drop to around 180*.

Bad thermostate maybe?

tractorman86

Reaction score
sounds kinda like a bad fan-clutch...??? did you do the waterpump? i have heard but never seen, the fan might be backwards, not really sure if it is even possible though.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob! Get a real gauge! Did the check engine light come on? Mine always acts like your old IDI would cool down real quick at idle. It's also always been fine at speed ecept when it gets REALLY hot here and I tow/haul AND run the AC full blast and go more than about 65 mph. The one time I had it really close to overheating it was in town and towing, idling in traffic, AC on full blast and about 92*F ambient air temp. That time it got up to 225-235 but as soon as I got rolling again it cooled down and as soon as I cut the AC off it really cooled down to normal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do the cheap things first. Change the thermostat. The Ford Part number is E5TZ-8575-C. I don't know what the Navistar number is but they are both the same part. They just come in differant boxing. They both start to open at 192 and are fully open at 212. I cut the rubber sealing ring off my stat and it now flows more coolant and runs around 10 to 15 degrees cooler.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey David Lee... LOL Don't overlook the possibility that it's just that stupid IVR. Give a tap on the glass and see if it cools down all of the sudden. Sometimes they stick when your not moving, and their aren't any road vibrations to keep it going. :rolleyes:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mine did something similar but when using the ac at any speed/rpm and it was lots of oil and dirt in the radiator so I cleaned it with engine degreaser and lots of water, after that it didn't do it again until today (240f) but it only happens when the ac is ON.

tractorman86

Reaction score
wow, mine dosent hardly get warm let alone hot and it has hit 110* here already. maybe i need to add more fuel then:D .

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
some good suggestions here. i definitely need a real gauge that's for sure. i did not do the pump myself but i think i saw a recent receipt for one in my folder from the PO.

it was in the mid 90s with the AC on when this happened. i pulled out of line and hit the road again and it cooled down. seems like fan clutch ot plugged rad fins would be good things to check.

IVR? if you mean the instrument cluster that could be it too. though i di have a very active temp guage. my old one never moved, this one is all over the place. but it acts like you would think it should, creeping up until the fan kicks in then creeping back down.

power has been down a bit lately, i dunno if it's because of the AC or maybe the heat. i will have to have Mel check the timing for me in a few weeks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea the Instrument Voltage Regulator. It's a little torture device mounted on the back of the cluster. When it goes on the fritz, all your gauges will move up, but the temp will move farther and faster than the others for whatever reason.