Y-pipe for N/A trucks

wbw189

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an email reply from Auto-Jet today. They are still carrying the 3" Y-pipe for the IDI motors for $129 + shipping. I am thinking this plus a PSD takeoff exhaust as a decent kit.

Have fun,
Ben

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
That seems expensive, I had one put into mine to get rid of the factory tee collector, and it wasn't near that much. I agree with you though, a true Y with a larger system makes a good exhaust.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Have one on my truck (the y pipe) and have had great luck with it. Fit well, functions well and seems to be holding up well. Just an FYI, the down pipes are NOT 3". They are large, forget what size now, and were substantially bigger than what was on my truck (had true duals when I got it, made of like 1 7/8's pipe). Anyway, has worked well for me. Kind of hate to take it off to turbo my truck when I get to that point.

wbw189

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. I think this is worth my time versus trying to fab the same. I keep fixing a bit at a time and I will have a new truck. :thumbsup:

Ben

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this will work with a PTO truck? I want more power and fuel mileage for the rollback and I have a PTO in the factory exhaust routing location.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
And here I sit wondering how the heck I still have the original exhaust system on my F250 from the manifolds, to about a foot behind the cab! Past that I had to replace twice.

Did any of you N/A guys notice a good difference in power with a new, bigger exhaust and Y pipe?

I do plan on a 3.5" stock style exhaust system when I restore my 1990 F250. Won't be adding a turbo, ever.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Did any of you N/A guys notice a good difference in power with a new, bigger exhaust and Y pipe?

I'm not sure I'm a good one to answer this as my truck was about like using straws for exhaust with the small true duals, but for me, this was one of the best things I ever did power wise. I also saw a huge drop in EGT's, but that's to be expected after trying to push all that exhaust into such small duals.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
And here I sit wondering how the heck I still have the original exhaust system on my F250 from the manifolds, to about a foot behind the cab! Past that I had to replace twice.

I do plan on a 3.5" stock style exhaust system when I restore my 1990 F250. Won't be adding a turbo, ever.

i had an aftermarket 3" exhaust on my truck when i got it and i had a good bit more power when i cut the muffler out and put a 3" 90 on and made myself a side pipe :yell:. sounds just like a jake brake when you tach it up to 2500 and let off fast, downshift going about 2000, or just coast down a steep hill

ill soon be doing true duals with 3" pipe from the headers back into 2, 5" turnout stacks laid down along the bottom side of the cab for side pipes

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I wanna do, run straight pipe, but factory style exhaust setup.

I like the sound an N/A diesel has straight!

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
kinda makes you want to make up an excuse to go to the bathroom dont it?

i would just do a side pipe right behind the cab, save yourself lots of pipe and lots of bending.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
On any other truck, I would simply dump it right under behind the cab, since it's a diesel, it be best a side pipe. But for this truck, I wanna keep it as original as I can, also keep the original style and look. So I have to go over the axle and out behind the wheel.