WVO questions

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Wisdom dictates that you put a temp gauge to monitor the veg oil temp. It's hard to say if these plans will get you to above 160*F. A good insulated system will function in the coldest winters. I think you'll wind up needing a 12v Vegtherm Mega in-line heater AFTER the switching valve. I see 180*F once fully warm.

I'm probably adding injector line heaters into the mix too. I DEFINITELY want to have a temperature gauge for the fuel to make sure I'm not shooting cold grease in there when the outside temps start to fall :puke:

You know of any cheap ones? I see one for $45 here.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
heck for a temp gage you can pick on of those up from any chain auto store for $15-25 range. it will be a capillary tube set up though instead of the wire set up on the link. but any water temp gage should be fine with a couple of fittings. just make sure the probe is in the flow of the fluid.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
i have been using a glow plug heater. I used it since last winter.and it worked well.;Sweet I also have a fuel heater that works off the coolant.:D

Attachments

• DSC00351-1.jpg
    DSC00351-1.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00352-1.jpg
    DSC00352-1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00350-1.jpg
    DSC00350-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 14

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
what are you dooing sunday? If you get boored you can come down to the logan county fair, i will have my truck there and plan to pull it.;Really

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
what are you dooing sunday? If you get boored you can come down to the logan county fair, i will have my truck there and plan to pull it.;Really

Wish I would've got this over the weekend, I would have drug the wife down. As it went I put in 14 hours on Sat helping put up a house for some family that burned down and they lost everything several months ago. Then Sunday was getting some hay for our horses. Where exactly do you live around Bellefontaine? It's only about an hour away from me to the fairgrounds, and I'd make that trip for some WVO help for sure ;Sweet

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Okay, figured instead of starting a new thread with my question I'd just update this one. Over the weekend I installed a new fuel filter and was able to wrap the stock filter with 2 wraps of heater hose to help make it a little toastier, but I'm just starting on my veggie mods.

I bought a water temp gauge/probe setup off ebay a week or so ago and I want to use it as a fuel temp gauge. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a good place to put it to get as accurate I can with the pre-combustion temp (say pre IP)? Also wondering if anyone could come up with a simpletons shopping list on what I need to take the probe setup and put it inline with the fuel (something like a McMaster list or even better a breakdown with the part names so I can hand it to a hardware store employee and they won't give me a blank stare :angel: )? I'm not real familiar with plumbing parts.

<Edit> This is the temp gauge I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=200129856526&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Last edited:

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
I bought a water temp gauge/probe setup off ebay a week or so ago and I want to use it as a fuel temp gauge. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a good place to put it to get as accurate I can with the pre-combustion temp (say pre IP)? Also wondering if anyone could come up with a simpletons shopping list on what I need to take the probe setup and put it inline with the fuel (something like a McMaster list or even better a breakdown with the part names so I can hand it to a hardware store employee and they won't give me a blank stare :angel: )? I'm not real familiar with plumbing parts.

<Edit> This is the temp gauge I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=200129856526&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Anybody? :dunno Google searching didn't reveal anything.

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
i have been using a glow plug heater. I used it since last winter.and it worked well.;Sweet I also have a fuel heater that works off the coolant.:D
do you leave the glow plug on all time (when running) won't it burn out?

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
i have it switched, and it has not burned out yet because it is submerged in liquid. I have had it on for an hour or so before.

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
i have it switched, and it has not burned out yet because it is submerged in liquid. I have had it on for an hour or so before.
why I asked was that sparked a ideal for me... add a few of these in your complete fuel line and have that to heat your fuel lines... they say they make self limiting ones for a chevy 6.2...

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Anybody? :dunno Google searching didn't reveal anything.

I dunno the configuration of pre-Powerstrokes but my coolant gauge probe is plumbed between an out port near the t-stat and returns to the degas bottle (coolant over flow bottle). The probe is mounted in a 3/8" brass tee and each end has hose barbs.