WVO Blenders

cj hall

Reaction score
fuel tank

Hello

The tank is a Titan fuel tank (a little bit of a wait) for it) the good news its light and made of poly. They make tanks for Dodge ,Ford and GM trucks
The tank is in a 2004 Dodge yes I know this is a Ford Chat Room but the question was about heating a fuel tank.this is just the way I did mine and I might be doing a Ford in the next few months.
I will post some pictures of it.

I should be a Ford person I really like binders but I owned GM products up in tell 2004 thats when I bought a dodge. Now I have 2 of them.

cj hall

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hello

The tank is a Titan fuel tank (a little bit of a wait) for it) the good news its light and made of poly. They make tanks for Dodge ,Ford and GM trucks
The tank is in a 2004 Dodge yes I know this is a Ford Chat Room but the question was about heating a fuel tank.this is just the way I did mine and I might be doing a Ford in the next few months.
I will post some pictures of it.

I should be a Ford person I really like binders but I owned GM products up in tell 2004 thats when I bought a dodge. Now I have 2 of them.

cj hall

$875+$90 shipping for a tank......Ouch :kick:

-----------Robert

cj hall

Reaction score
price

Hello
Yes the price is high.:dunno

if you set your self up as a dealer and buy 2 tanks the price is better. then sell the extra one and you should get the price down, 58 gallon fuel tanks cost a lot. price out Transfur Tank. that will make you head spin.cookoo

In Montana you want as much fuel as you can get in your truck, looking at one more tank for a total of 110 gallons total onboard then I can drive for 1760 miles at 16 MPG without filling up no I do not want to buy #2, I make my own fuel.;Sweet

cj hall

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hello
Yes the price is high.:dunno

if you set your self up as a dealer and buy 2 tanks the price is better. then sell the extra one and you should get the price down, 58 gallon fuel tanks cost a lot. price out Transfur Tank. that will make you head spin.cookoo

In Montana you want as much fuel as you can get in your truck, looking at one more tank for a total of 110 gallons total onboard then I can drive for 1760 miles at 16 MPG without filling up no I do not want to buy #2, I make my own fuel.;Sweet

cj hall

I only paid $20 for my 50 gal bed tank...but I have the advantage of being in a town with a school bus plant and anything they bang up goes straight to the scrap metal yard :thumbsup: I'm still trying to figure out how to make a nice set of full length drive up ramps out of a few dented bus bumpers :D

I can see needing big tanks there, I haven't been across Montana in about 18 years, but is used to be a run across there at night meant a seriously long way between fillups ( and sleeping across the seats in front of a gas station till morning if you run low).

--------Robert

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how it felt for me driving in Northern BC at night. I almost camped out in front of the gas station a couple times.

Which is why I went and picked up a credit card from one of the gas stations that works at their cardlocks.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
To bring up this thread again, If I put a stick on plate heater on the tank, run coolant lines along the fuel lines, put in a heated fuel filter and put a in-line heater right before the IP would this be okay to run straight veg oil in the spring, summer and fall in North Carolina? Also Deep Roots mentioned the ford fuel switching valve being sensitive to the higher temperatures, is this a common problem?
Thanks
Bill

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
To bring up this thread again, If I put a stick on plate heater on the tank, run coolant lines along the fuel lines, put in a heated fuel filter and put a in-line heater right before the IP would this be okay to run straight veg oil in the spring, summer and fall in North Carolina? Also Deep Roots mentioned the ford fuel switching valve being sensitive to the higher temperatures, is this a common problem?
Thanks
Bill

You ought to be good to go.

----------Robert

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to go to all that effort for three season use. The key is start start and stop on diesel. Oil is hot by definition in an IDI at injection if the engine is hot. In the second tank, you can use 25% CLEAN oil at any temperature, 50% oil at 50 degrees F, and higher percentages as it gets warmer. Why try to push to 100%? At 50% you can get 35 miles per paid gallon on the highway and at 75% 70 mppg. And all the time being nice to your engine. In fact, the engine likes the lube.
Jim

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two tanks, right, always start and stop on diesel and only switch over with engine hot. Then above 60 degrees or so you don't need any heat with 3/4 vegetable oil and 1/4 kerosene. With a hot engine you are restricted only by fuel delivery. High quality, clean canola oil is the key.
Jim

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Above 60 I don't need any heating running 75%, what about below 60 like 30-60 what kind of heating would I need then.
Bill

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Above 60 I don't need any heating running 75%, what about below 60 like 30-60 what kind of heating would I need then.
Bill
I know this is a month old, but I'm curious about the same thing.

Also, does it have to be mixed with kero or would mixing it with diesel be ok?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mixing with diesel is fine. It is just that kerosene is more effective and less smelly (but also a bit more expensive-- got to shop around for a good price).

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Anyone from a colder climate have any more input on what kind of heating setup is needed to run WVO in at least 50/50 all year? I was recommended (buy a shop trying to sell me stuff mind you ;Really www.greasekings.com ) a coolant heated fuel filter, coolant heated tube in shell in tank heater, 15 foot HIH 3/8" line, and 12V dual injector line heater...pretty much everything they sell LOL So I didn't know if that was the proper amount of heat needed or just their sales pitch :backoff

Personally I was thinking:
~$155 12V 80W or Coolant heated fuel filter or $100 12V 80W fuel filter wrap
~$99 12V 250W stick on pad fuel tank heater
~$160 15 ft HIH coolant heated 3/8" line

Was hoping that would keep me running nearly all year long in Ohio and would only be $414 (unless someone wants to make me the stuff cheaper but still make a buck ;Really )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online