WTB - 7.3 IDI or Powerstroke ext. cab or crew near 19440

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 7.3 IDI or Powerstroke preferably with manual transmission (could settle for automatic). Ext cab or preferably crew cab is desired. MUST BE 4x4. Within 300 miles of 19440

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still looking, last one I looked at was a rust bucket SD

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonna look at a 2000 in NJ if it's not sold by thursday when I get a chance to take the drive

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found an 01 CC 4x4 6 speed but it's a dually! I don't really need a dually but going to take a look at it this weekend.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Consider a gas truck? Tons more torque and power than my diesel, and has a ZF5... Only reason I don't keep it and got the diesel is because NJ cracked down on emissions testing and won't test it as a 460 truck even if I put the smog pumps and whatnot on it as the VIN says 351w. I'm near Philly so if that one doesn't pan out...

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199745

I'd consider selling my '86 6.9 crew cab but I'd have to get more than my bottom dollar for the 460 truck. Not sure exactly where I'd be, but anything is for sale for the right price.

motoxraceman2345

Reaction score
Consider a gas truck? Tons more torque and power than my diesel, and has a ZF5... Only reason I don't keep it and got the diesel is because NJ cracked down on emissions testing and won't test it as a 460 truck even if I put the smog pumps and whatnot on it as the VIN says 351w. I'm near Philly so if that one doesn't pan out...

I'd consider selling my '86 6.9 crew cab but I'd have to get more than my bottom dollar for the 460 truck. Not sure exactly where I'd be, but anything is for sale for the right price.

I hate smog regs. Luckily where i am i don't have to worry about it. Good luck on selling it. Someone who knows anything could see you defiantly have put some love in her.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

diesel only, no gassers

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking at a 99 CC 4x4 5spd this week...I think this could be the one.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's a bunch of crap. That is an EPA legal swap as long as it has the right smog equipment for that year on it. I'm sure 460 was an option for that truck in that year. If you like the truck and want to keep it, I'd fight them on it.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
That's a bunch of crap. That is an EPA legal swap as long as it has the right smog equipment for that year on it. I'm sure 460 was an option for that truck in that year. If you like the truck and want to keep it, I'd fight them on it.

Technically yes, but state law can be more restrictive than federal law and they don't consider vehicle emissions or engine swaps a constitutional issue. The engine I built came out of the exact same year truck and I had all the smog stuff. I argued with them before building it as whether it was smog compliant or not would have significant effect on my choices. It's done, all the smog stuff has been scrapped or tossed and of course the engine has more power and MPG than if it were EPA compliant. At the time the liberals here weren't shutting down businesses, stealing their property, and fining the owners heavily so buying a sticker was easier. A few hundred bucks for a sticker every other year to not attract attention was worth it, and at least some of that money went to the productive class compared to $200 surprise tax every time some member of the gang of thieves goes fishing. They do a lot of roadblocks and checkpoints around here so avoiding them gets old fast.

Over the years I've learned that it's best to avoid as much contact with the government as possible. Try to structure your life to be subject to the least amount of laws and regulations as possible and just mind your own business. The more government is involved, the more expensive and painful anything becomes. For the truck, I have zero interest in fighting the good fight. NJ is not like any other state I'm familiar with, you need to ask permission from government to do anything and if it's fun or satisfying to you and there's no victim being harmed you better assume it's illegal and comes with severe repercussions. Seriously, if you haven't spent much time in NJ you won't understand.

I should have known to stick to inspection/emissions exempt vehicles, so for me it's 80s diesel trucks and 60s cars. Unlikely even here they'd retroactively create emissions criteria for the pre-EPA stuff, and the worst they'd ever do for mechanical diesels is probably an opacity test. That should be easy enough on these trucks. It's not like there are lots of mechanical diesels on the road here, I doubt they would become a target for the liberals given the changes in emissions law and testing a few years back target only new diesels.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you. To be quite frank and honest about it, that's why I am building the IDI. I was dead set on a cummins swap but in the peoples republic of maryland, I couldn't find a way to actually have it inspected for regular plates. I could go historic or street rod but then I can't use the truck for anything. Don't get caught with trailer on a historic tagged vehicle. They don't like that much. The good news here is that vehicles are only inspected when they change hands and are registered. Older diesels are emissions exempt. So if up the road I decide to swap, nobody would be the wiser unless they notice the change in sound.

Enforcement of the EPA laws is up to the state and that's why it varies so much state to state. It's up to their interpetation. Anyway, good luck with your sale.

Hijack over.... Sorry OP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger