Would leaking IP cause wet clutch?

jericho

Reaction score
I just want to start by thanking everyone on this site for their great sharing of knowledge and help to all trying to keep these great machines going. I've been lurking on here for years hardly posting having most of my questions already answered in others threads. Excellent advice, and until I bought this '93 from by brother, who was the original owner, I'd only worked on gassers.
Well, recently I just learned of the drain in the back of the valley pan, and one of you all posted that it drains into the bell housing. I'm getting ready to put a new clutch in (27 year old original still in there!) and then later replace the IP, the one in there now leaks (it's original also) and goes down that drain. Does this drain onto the flywheel clutch pack and all , or somewhere else? Will it ruin the new clutch? or does it drain somewhere else? I do plan on putting in a new IP as soon as I can, but I can't right away.
Thanks in advance for your help.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It doesn't normally drain into the bellhousing of the transmission. The fluid usually trapped between the back of the block and the adapter plate. It then runs down the passenger's side of the block right onto the starter. Now if your adapter plate isn't bolted up quite tight enough (for whatever reason) and there's a slight gap between it and the block, then it's possible that something like leaking fuel could run down into the bellhousing. I don't think that scenerio is very likely, but I assume that it is possible.

jericho

Reaction score
Thank you very much idibronco, probably misunderstood the poster, guess I can breath easy for a little while till there's enough moolah for a rebuilt IP. Maybe a month. Gonna eventually get everything fixed on this truck, first mechanical, then a little beautification, much later. Since I've owned it just heavy short hauling, rough work, it's been ignored, but pretty soon gonna haul a trailer, maybe 8k, moving south, multiple trips through the mountains of Va., 600+ miles. Not worried about powering up hills with a turbo for now , not enough time now, but maybe in the distant future. But she's got to be running good.:peelout Cheers.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can get into the bell housing if the leak is decent enough. I've had it happen more than once over the years. Never had it cause clutch issues though.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online