Worn Radius arm and bracket Have a ?

hjalbert

Reaction score
Well here is a picture of the bracket and the radius arm. This is the drievrs side, the passenger side was not this bad. Will this cause premature wear of the new bushings I was going to install? Should I replace the bracket and radius arm?? If so, should I buy new (and where from), or pull off of a parts truck? Any one got a set of these brackets and arms they want to sell?
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I can't see the pictures. You could build them up with weld and grind them smooth though.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see the pics either. If there is wear on the arm, you might want to get a pair off of a junkyard truck. A cutting torch will make quick work of removal...

hjalbert

Reaction score
can you see them now?

Can any one see them now? I can see them, maybe the bandwidth is not quite wide enough sometimes from the site they are hosted on.

hjalbert

Reaction score
Any way, I reinstalled them as is with the new bushings because I have to have my truck tommorow. I will try building it up with weld first and then grinding smooth, if that does not work I will buy from a junker. Thanks for the input!!!

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Either rehab your existing parts or put in different ones or your new bushings will be toast in a very short while from being chewed up by the worn out arm and bracket!

How many miles were on those parts? Was there anything left of the old bushings?

hjalbert

Reaction score
I have only Owned the truck for about a month. the previous owner did not really do any maintenance from what I can tell. Supposedly the truck has 196,*** But I think it may be more based on stuff like this. Its an 85. I guess I am going to need to buy a cutting torch, as I agree, that is the fastest way to remove something.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Just keep at it, bit by bit, and pretty soon you'll have a truck that you can be justly proud of. With the right care, they will keep going and going....and turn in performance worthy of much more expensive alternatives!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hjalbert said:
I have only Owned the truck for about a month. the previous owner did not really do any maintenance from what I can tell. Supposedly the truck has 196,*** But I think it may be more based on stuff like this. Its an 85. I guess I am going to need to buy a cutting torch, as I agree, that is the fastest way to remove something.

You can get a oxy-acetylene torch with the mini-tanks that are a lot easier to take to the boneyard etc. I've seen em at Home Depot, maybe cheaper at other places.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a air hammer and a chisel attachment. Your pics are very common with towtrucks. I just did a set on a '86 F350. I have two more trucks to tackle as time allows. Oh yea, after knocking out the rivets, I use frame bolts as a replacement. If you do use grade 8 bolts, make sure you loctite the heck out of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger