Won't Start - truck stranded

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually, after my "wait to start" light goes out (after 4-5 secs) I can hear the glow plug relay cycling away and the needle on my volt meter bounces with every click. Then, I noticed the other day that I couldn't hear my glow plug controller cycling and my volt meter wasn't bouncing. And after I had driven awhile, the truck was hard to start. I tried the cold water on the pump and that didn't help. I learned if I cycle the ignition switch 3 or 4 times the glow plug controller would start clicking and the truck would start right up.

So, I replaced the glow plug relay today. Now I get no relay cycling no matter how long I wait. The "wait to start" takes 9-12 seconds to go off and after it does finally go out, I can't hear any of the classic ticking sounds.

The new control relay had an "S" stamped next to one of the small connections and an "I" next to the other. I wired it up and I 'd sware I wired it correctly, but the old relay did not have any markings on it at all. Also, when I mounted the new relay I noticed the position of the terminals was different and my dual red wires were a touch too far from their designated terminal, but I finally got them one.

What I'm wondering is: If the glow plug controller relay goes out, does that classic "click" of the relay cycling go out, too? If the batteries get week does that make the controller relay stop clicking, but still cycle the glow plugs? Could I have fried the whole controller if I crossed up the wires on the relay? Can anyone send me a picture of their controller or explain which wires go where?

Oh, how do you test glow plugs? Maybe a shorted out controller kept them on too long and burnt them up. So, I need to find out how to test
I know this is a long post and I have a lot of questions. The problem is Big Red is down and I'm afraid if I don't get him fixed by mid day tomorrow it will get towed or broken into.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
I use an ohm meter to test mine, I usually count 2 ohms or less as good.

You can use an ice pick looking test light, clip one end to the positive cable clamp then touch the tip to the unplugged top of the glowplug. If the light comes on then the plug is not dead.

I don't know about the controller, yours is much newer than mine.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck is a stick it would be worth it to try pull starting it.

Otherwise disconnect the quick connect for the GP controller and give the truck a half second of starting fluid and try to start it. If the truck doesn't start on starting fluid it isn't going to start.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The relay that you are using will not work. I Triied the same thing then found the right relay on ebay. Do a search for glow plug relay. I fought with mine for a couple of days then finally gave in and bought the relay off ebay -cuss

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The relay that you are using will not work. I Triied the same thing then found the right relay on ebay. Do a search for glow plug relay. I fought with mine for a couple of days then finally gave in and bought the relay off ebay -cuss

That is right, I have the same relay on My truck but that is the starter switch relay is not for the glowplugs I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5