Wont start in the morning, water in fuel.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck runs fine. One morning it didn't start. The water in fuel light came on. I changed filter and it was fine. Next day, same ****. There was one day in the last week that it started without draining the filter.
When I turn the key on, no WIF light. After cranking it comes on. It sputters and has a nasty knock (I'm assuming water in the injectors).

This morning I drained the filter twice and the WIF wont go off and it still wont start.
I run a healthy dose of Howes diesel treat since it's supposed to dissapate water.
Does it on both tanks (WIF).

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drain both tanks, evidently they are full of water instead of diesel fuel. 10 gallons of Howes won't help that much WIF.

Have you got a neighbor that is stealing your fuel and replacing it with water?

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If you got a LOT of water in there, pour some methyl hydrate in there. We do it to the big trucks at work. A half gallon of methyl hydrate in each tank will boil out the water.

Pour the hydrate in, fill the tank and drive home....open the tank covers and let sit for a while. This SHOULD take care of the water is it's only a little......if it's more, then you WILL have to take the tanks down, and drain them.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Draining tanks doesn't sound like much fun. We will see what happens I guess.

The methyl hydrate sounds like an interesting try.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you using the filter with the water separator in it?

If you have a 12 volt fuel pump laying around, I would suggest pumping some fuel from both tanks into a clear glass jar to see how bad your water issue is in both tanks. I have gotten a full beer bottle of water out from one fill up before (no I don't use that station anymore), but after getting that out it ran fine.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock fuel filter. I don't think theyre much of a water seperator.

I do have a 12 V pump, Where would be the easiest place to hook it to?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your fuel filter have an aluminum piece on the bottom of it, or can you see the rounded bottom of your filter housing, just like a typical spin on filter? If you have the aluminum housing, there's a spigot to drain water off, you might want to think about getting one of these if you don't have it as I really like to catch water before it gets to shutting my truck off. The filters are more expensive, but worth it IMHO.

If you are going to drain off each tank, I would just pull the rubber hose off where your mechanical fuel pump is as that pretty easy. You can even use your tank selector switch to pull some fuel off both tanks and have a look at what you have in there.

Good luck.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I don't know about howes but the best thing I have used yet for getting rid of water is the ISO HEET in the red bottle. I was having problems with my track hoe freezing up and after using power service in the white bottle for a year and a couple bottles of 911 when it froze up it would still freeze up when it got cold. So I thought it was time to try something else cause the powerservice wasn't cutting it. I used half a bottle in one tank and never had it freeze up again even though it got below zero.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a bottle of ISO HEET in the rear tank and then filled it up.

It worked.. kinda. Went to start the truck tonight.. had that nasty knock while cranking but started after a few seconds. No WIF light. Was running pretty rough til it idled for a few minutes. I drove it around and the WIF started dimly flickering for a mile then went back off.

I'll make a video of it starting in the next day or two.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the filter. Water can remain trapped in the media blocking the flow of fuel even after you drain it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know it sounds harsh but quit ***** footin around with it and drop the tanks!you keep getting water in it wich mean you got tanks full of water.the longer you keep messin around with additives that dont work the bigger the chance of damage to the injectors occuring.keep playin around and you will end up cracking a nozzle or scoring plungers and barrels.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I figured it out- My rear tank started leaking pretty good while it was sitting in the driveway.

Don't have a lot of time to mess with it right now- between work and school I'm home to sleep and that's about it.