won't rev up

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
I got a 2000 psd and my buddy has a 97 they both won't rev up after starting when it is cold.When it is down around zero it will start and you can hold the pedal to the floor but it does nothing. It is not the ebp, once it runs for a while then you can get the rpms to build slowly. Any ideas what might be causing this? I have another 2000 and it will rev after starting.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever blown the 30 amp fuse that controls the PCM, fuel bowl heater and other things? You would get a no start up, but the starter would turn the engine over. Could be the fuel bowl heater is bad and you can't get enough fuel to rev up when it's that cold. Only way to check that is to pull the filter and see if the heater is wire is damaged.

The HPOP and ICP prolly are not bad as you can start the engine, if they were bad you would get a no start condition. HPOP has to pump minimum of 300PSI to start.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
If its really cold when i first crank my psd holding the pedal to the floor does nothing, but once the engine has time to run for awile then it acts normal, but my engine dont count it only runs on 7 cylinders:D

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not a bad TPS on the fuel pedal or a factory programming parameter to prevent cold abuse???

:dunno thats all another language to meLOL all i know is when its really cold i dont get much rev action and i can hear a pump whinning i assume its the hpop:confused: but after it gets to idle for 30sec-1min it gets better and usable

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does it throw a check engine light?the problem with the psd is youre gonna get a bunch of guys guessing what might be the problem.it needs to be put on a scanner so you can watch what all the sensors are doing.

how do you know its not the ebpv?when cold the valve closes to force it to warm up.with the valve closed its not gonna rev too easy.what exACtlydoes it do?step on the throttle and it does absolutely nothing,like you stepped on it with the engine off?or does it rev slowly?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way your going to resolve the no throttle issue without just changing parts is to hook a diagnostic code reader like an Autoenginuity with Ford enhanced program to it when it's cold. The throttle on a cold start is controlled by the engine oil and air temperature input's to the ECM among other sensors. It is possible that the ECM/PCM program is corrupted. Only a Ford dealership can reprogram/update those.
One thing you can do is THIS if it has never been done, it's a good thing to do anyhow.
One other thing to do is disconnect the ICP sensor, that will default to the PCM control pressure. ICP= Injector Control Pressure.
For engine sensor information go HERE

whitestroker

Reaction score
Well my truck is the 97 SS is talkin about and the ebpv is non existant. My other 97 has throttle as soon as the engine fires and it has a ebpv. :confused:

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
When I step on it, it does nothing the ebv is on a toggle i can control when it is on and off, I had already cleaned the sensor tube and no check engine light. The only codes it was showing was a weak #8 and a ebv code(cause it was unhooked).