Wondering steering......

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer the op question. You need a alignment from a quality shop first.
Second they make a borgensen steering shaft replacement for our trucks that removes all of that slop you guys are referring to. They are very expensive though. I believe they are $250

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
Thanks I will look into that! And I’m going to get it in for an alignment this week sense I’ve done all the work to the front end.

Low1gear

Reaction score
The steering box is probably worn. These trucks are famous for the steering box wearing out at 150k mile.

92 dizzel

Reaction score
It's a Ford. Enough said. Damned things never steer tight.

Turn off your truck and have someone turn the wheel back and forth. Where is the play? Is it in the gearbox? Do an adjustment on the gearbox, Google that **** how to do it. Find the play. These damned things are meant to keep you alert and off of your cell phone. Mine makes me clench my ******* from time to time. But if you have someone play with the steering wheel while you watch where it is not responding you can begin to track down the loose ends.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I like to imagine I'm a bomber pilot in WWII heading thru turbulance as I drive down the road.

That's more like the RV in high wind. Yeah steering is pretty tight but that doesn't stop it from getting blown around.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I replace the gear box tie rod ends ball joints and steering shaft and got the alignment done and she does great now! Nice and tight!

No reason it should not drive like a new one. Sometimes it does take awhile to figure out though. Ford didn't sell these trucks new with sloppy steering.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No reason it should not drive like a new one. Sometimes it does take awhile to figure out though. Ford didn't sell these trucks new with sloppy steering.
That’s right! And I want the old girl to last for a long time! So it’s worth it to do it all. I started body work today so hopefully I can paint it in a week or so.