WMO TIMING AGAIN

vmax3_2001

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've read numerous articles on this so I don't want to beat a dead horse, however. My question is, if I were to advance my timing a dimes width for waste motor oil, I try not to exceed 50-60% WMO it's just stock 89 7.3 with stock lift pump. Will it have any ill effects when I change tanks from WMO to just diesel or would it be like the opposite of what is is now being stock timing. I have duel tanks and the rear is my mix. I usually switch before I shut off but if the temp is say above 80* I won't. Anyways if there is just diesel or mostly diesel in the lines will advancing the timing really matter? I know it will give more burn time in the chamber, correct. Thanks for the help I know its lenghty.

Last edited:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you start burning the WMO your timing settings get thrown out the window. The timing in a diesel is directly affected by the cetane in the fuel. Once you start mixing things you cant get a consistant number. I advanced and retarded mine for a couple weeks until I found the sweet spot. Just keep in mind that if you advance it now the next tank might be different. Find the spot where it runs good and you'll be close enough. If you go too much, you'll burn GP's out. I went through almost 3 sets on mine before it was right.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Which explains why I'm going through GPs the way I am. Can you explain how it is that advanced timing will destroy the GPs? I'm at about 9.5 BTDC

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I think my timing was retarded causing the GP problem. I advanced the pump then retarded it a bit then advanced it some more LOL I just had to mess with it till I got it right. I think its probibly more advanced than factory specs, but I also run a Holly blue pump with no regulator.
I think I have another GP out again, but it was January the last time I moved the pump.
How old are your injectors? I know mine need replaced they have about 90K on them and the last 2 yrs have been WMO/WVO blends through them.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
about 6 months old, pretty sure I most likely have one left...

I've goen through 2 sets since I started on WMO, I recently have switched to veggie - dunno when the damage was done :)

I think 12 secs on the burn might be too long...

vmax3_2001

Reaction score
Yeah, all that makes sence. My truck starts and runs very well right now. So i don't think i'm going to mess with anything. If is ain't broke don't fix it I guess. I may pull a couple of glowplugs just to see what they look like, but like I said the truck starts and runs well. I just changed the glow plugs about 1500 miles ago ZD9's. I guess time will tell.

RoGrrr

Reaction score
don't understand this

I always thought that timing is something you do on a gasoline engine or at least one that has a distributor. I have yet to find the distributor on my PSD.

What am I missing here ?

I am about to start driving my 96 PSD on WMO and want to know what is going on.

RoGrrr

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
mechanical diesels like my IDI have an IP - which you turn to change timing - the PSD like my Excursion has timing controlled electronically, so you'd need an ECU programmer.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
that and an idi will run wmo (and all the crap that goes with it) where as a psd wont. It will but the first time you have to buy 8 injectors (if you run anything but diesel you will) your savings go out the window. It is not a good idea to run wmo or veggie in a psd, I see one or two a week that verify this fact over and over.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
that and an idi will run wmo (and all the crap that goes with it) where as a psd wont. It will but the first time you have to buy 8 injectors (if you run anything but diesel you will) your savings go out the window. It is not a good idea to run wmo or veggie in a psd, I see one or two a week that verify this fact over and over.

I've had long convivial conversations with folks intimately involved in the WVO conversion scene - like they make a living doing it - and they'll all tell you that poeple running alt fuels do dumb ****. Like not titrating their oil, like not dewatering it or dumpster diving for oil.

If you're willing to do that to your PSD then you deserve what you get. This is by no means an exact science but certain tenets have been established in al fuels. You need to research and research and then research some more to figure it out.

As someone who has run both WVO and WMO I can tell you that WMO seems to be more forgiving of these trucks than WVO. Of course I filtered to 1 micron and dewatered. Be ready to go through filters alot with either fuel as you begin your journey. And by all means test drive your vehicle locally before going on long hauls.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would agree that messing with timing for WMO is a waste of time. I've also experimented in this realm and lost some glow plug tips to the 9.5-10 degree timing range. The color of my smoke tells me more about what is going on with my fuel than anything, and since my WMO supply is a mix of ATF, and dino and synthetic oils, my fuel quality is all over the place. What I've started doing since fuel prices are down, is running 2 to 3 tanks of streight diesel against 3 tanks of 80% WMO. The clean fuel reduces the coaking, and cleans up the fuel system (and I get to enjoy the extra power that regular fuel provides), while still saving about %50 on my fuel costs. Keep your timing at 8.5 degrees BTDC pulse method.

ford5.9

ford5.9
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong, but to advance the timing you move the IP towards the passenger direction. Right now I have my IP mark lined up with the mark on the plate. It seems that I loose power when runnin 50% WMO and I'm smoking heavy. Would I need to adjust the IP to the passenger side or driver side? I just checked my lift pump today and it showed 6-7 PSI. Maybe my IP is giving up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online