wmo mix & smoke

DGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am runing wmo mixed with 50% deisel fuel . In a 03 dodge cummins stock
setup. Have noticed truck smokes alot at 70 deg or below but not to bad at 70 deg or above.Smoke does not bother me but hate going threw town smoking all the way.Any ideas to reduce smoke with out having to run more deisel in the mix. Thinking more boost and better lift pump.Allso anyone
getting pulled over for to much smoke.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have plans in the mix to actaully run the fuel through a plate heater. that should cut down the smoke a good bit and make it easier to run stonger mixes. mine smokes some more to but it is a lighter haze than a black diesel cloud.

DGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil I get could have trans fluid in it to. Would a lift pump with heater posably help in cold weather or do they make a tank heater for the 03 dodge.The smoke I get in cool weater is light blue and constant but gets very black if I accelerate hard. The only way for me to reduce smoke In lower temps is to add more deisel that cost 4.50 a gal. And my truck is never empty I carry
1500 pounds easy all the time with tools and boxes.

03 dodge 4 door 8 foot bed cummins 19 to 20 mpg

jstock

Reaction score
I am new to this stuff - so go easy on me.
Are you saying that the temp of the WMO / Diesel mix causes the smoke ?
Can you heat the mix via rediator fluid like the WVO people do ? I would guess that you do not have to heat to the same temp as WVO.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Can you heat the mix via rediator fluid like the WVO people do ? I would guess that you do not have to heat to the same temp as WVO.

bingo, adding a heater will only help after the truck has warmed up some. i plan on running on a lighter mix until it warms up some and then switching over to the heated straight WMO then switching back before shut down. WMO does not have to be heated nearly as hot as veggie to flow though.

i used to work at clean burn where they make furnaces to burn used motor oil and one of the keys to clean burning is pre-heating the fuel.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I run a 30% mix, no blue smoke but I do find I get more black smoke than with straight diesel....Especially on cool days....I've found the hotter it is outside the better my truck pulls. If it's 20C it hauls really good, 5C and it seems kinda lazy and I see black smoke under a light pedal.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
I am runing wmo mixed with 50% deisel fuel . In a 03 dodge cummins stock
setup. Have noticed truck smokes alot at 70 deg or below but not to bad at 70 deg or above.Smoke does not bother me but hate going threw town smoking all the way.Any ideas to reduce smoke with out having to run more deisel in the mix. Thinking more boost and better lift pump.Allso anyone
getting pulled over for to much smoke.

Remember that smoke at startup temps can meen bad glow plugs too. Is your smoke noticably different with a lower mix, or the same? Don't rule out the possibility that you have a glow plug issue as well!

Or maybe your mix is too high for the mopar setup at low temps.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The Cummins would have a grid heater and most ISB's tend to smoke worse than a PSD/IDI when cold anyways. I get one in at work, it''s an early 12V with a P7100 pump....That little frigger fills the shop full of blue smoke when you start it, let it run for 5 minutes and it clears out.

DGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Started out yesterday 6 am 65 deg smoked a good bit all the time.
as temp rose to 85 deg hard aceleration black smoke and smoke a
little at idle not much on hwy but some. Got home 5pm hooked up
trailer with 10000 poung tractor . Smoked some till 1st hill hard pull
blowing black hit 3000 rpm for 1 min till shifting to 4th gear a lot of
smoke. After that smoked very little like it cleaned itself out. Even
on next hill someone stopped in front of me halfway up. Shifted
at 3000 rpm very little smoke like different truck. Very good power
to. All day today without trailer very little smoke on shifts and little at idle.
Think I may have to romp on it ever so often to blow it out. smoke
cuts way back afterwards. ? would higher boost with new wast gate and a turbo fooler help reduce smoke ? What causes this change in smoke same tank 50% wmo 50% deisel ? What about new lift pump with more power to reduce smoke. I do have a fuel gauge comming so I can monitor psi of lift pump but not on truck yet. 2003 dodge cummins all stock.Truck runs great
all the time on this mix.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 90 idi doesn't seem to create any additional smoke or soot running 50% hydraulic oil ( small amount of WMO mixed in too ) at idle or under load. I am quite positive the IP is set at the factory setting. I have been told most rebuilt pumps are turned up 10% above the factory setting and the lower pump setting on my truck may account for part of this.

I am towing the boat to the Lake of the Ozarks this weekend. It is white....and I typically have to hit the car wash as soon as I get there to remove the light dusting of diesel soot on the right hand side of it ( 8 hour haul ) ....This will be the first time towing the boat with the hyd oil mix....if the side of the boat is black, I'll then know the real difference. :(

DGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am filtering mix with a 10 micron filter.Just got my 2 micron to install
going to filter 10 then 2 micron and see if this helps the smoke on wmo
in my truck 03 dodge

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I bought two Donaldson 10 micron and two CAT 2 micron filters today, cost me $30 for all 4. My processor is starting to get plugged up I think, getting really slow so it's time for a filter change. Probably cost me $60 for filters a year, not too bad.

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
I dont get any extra smoke with my wmo and i am running it 90 wmo and 10 naptha now to cut it its strained down to 1 micron I think I finnally have this down pat been 5 tank loads with no problems starting or anything. I dont even have to buy that dang diesel no longer.

DGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using unleaded adding 1 gal to 10 gal wmo 10 gal of diesel I will try
napta in place of the unleadedon next mix. Does naptha evaporate
very fast after mixing. My truck smokes then stops then smokes again
I think it must be injectors geting dirty and whin I romp on it it helps
clean them out. Juxt installed a 2 micron filter after my 10 micron
I started out with will see if this helps the smoke any.

jstock

Reaction score
Sorry for the Stupid ass question...but
What is Naptha and how do you get it ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online