WMO filtering setup

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I'm been thinking about burning a WMO mix in my diesel for weeks. Now I got the pump and motor.... I'm on my way...:D

Any suggestions on how to mount a pulley to the pump while still being able to use the mounting flange? I dont know if i can direct couple because the motor turns at 3450 rpm. Unless you guys think thats ok....

Attachments

• IMG_2979.jpg
    IMG_2979.jpg
    984.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matrix37495
I really don't have many good answers, your right about the flange and having problems there.
Mounting stuff with odd shapes and sizes is tough.
The pump I would think should be able to hold up from that many rpms, even if it is stock.
Make sure your rotations are correct I had a problem when I tried to direct drive my PS pump the rotation was wrong. So I ended up using pullies and an old air compressor.
Keep doing searches on the net to see if someone has done similar.;Sweet
I'll keep it in mind.:frustrate

Boost_Happy

Reaction score
if anything get an old power steering pump or the pulley off it... yo could try direct drive. thats what we did on our first setup, worked good ontil the motor took a ****.it also looks like you pump has a built in bypass which is good, but you still want a manual one, like a t with a ball vavle and loop it back into the inlet side of the pump. i would also put some kind of screen or filter before your pump.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get belt pulleys at the hardware store that use screws that tighten against the pump shaft. Problem is figuring out the proper combination for the amount of pump drag. The hp rating of the motor will have alot to do with this.

That motor looks well used. Mebbe get it checked out at a shop before using?

I would tap the oil pump hole and use a tube for suction. Trying to mill a thick piece of metal is more that most can do without paying alot to a machinist. With a welder, drill and a chopsaw I could easily make mounting brackets for the pump. Heck, if no chopsaw then a hand or bench grinder. Bolts instead of a welder too.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I'm kinda going along with what Devilish suggested. Got a couple pulleys from my local TSC. Got the pump modified and the mounting bracket made. Its some ¼" plate i cut a hole in for the shaft so i can have the inlet/outlet pointing up. Ill bolt the pump and motor down to what i end up using for a cart.

Devilish, the motor may look like crap, but it wasn't used that much. It was a fan motor for our overhead grain tank before the mounting feet broke and put the fan into the drum. So it runs strong, its just dirty... :)

I'll try and get some pics today of what i get done.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
On another note, i did talk at a mechanic friend and hes got 110+ gal of wmo and 25 gal of ***... :D said i can have it all...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the diesel price coming down a little, it's nice to figure how much savings your getting, even if a person is blending the stuff with diesel.(makes the price a little easier to swallow) nice find on the used oils:hail

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Got my pump finished...

You must be registered for see images attach

How about some paint?

Went and got stuff to plumb it and make a cart. Now i just need a drum and my 'fuge... :D

Boost_Happy

Reaction score
There you go my friend!! your off to a great start! got ur pump and some oil! looks good. simplicity and functionality is where you want to beill try to get a pic of my setup on here

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
More progress and a set back...

Heres the cart. (That was a test drum, i still need to get a drum...)

I got all excited and wanted to try out my pump, so i plug it in completely forgetting i hadnt greased the pump shaft....promptly seized the shaft to the housing.

Got that fixed and hooked my lines up just to see how much oil it would move. Well, the motor wont turn the pump more then about 20 rpm.... so now i've got new pulleys to slow the pump down to about 1500 rpm and give me some more torque. Testing again tomorrow...

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Keep your belt as loose as possible. That type of pump is not designed for side loads on the drive shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online