WMO and water

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just made some fuel. It's 5 gal WMO/5 gal WVO and 8 gal of #2. It's filtered through a golden rod and a 1 micron house filter.

The WVO I dewatered and the WMO didnt have any water. What I'm getting is very light wisps of lighter color when I pump it out of my filter rig.

Is there a way to tell if this is water? I know you can hot pan test WVO but what about something for petro stuff?

Stu

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Heat a pint of your blend to 160-170*F then pour it in to a glass jelly jar and let it settle for a few days then check for water again. No it won't explode at 170*F. LOL If you cover it tight condensation may form so let it get some air.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How should I check for water? Hot pan it? Or just a visual? I think my water trap is messed up on my compresser and that might be where its coming from.

Stu

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
...then pour it in to a glass jelly jar and let it settle for a few days then check for water again......

Just let it settle and look for water on the bottom. In mixes I've made it had a haze on the top but it was not water. all water will drop to bottom over time....

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I do - Take two samples in glass jars. Maybe a pint each. Microwave one of them. Have a thermometer that will read up to at least 250 degrees. Heat to around 225-250 then let cool over night and look at the difference.

I have been using a turkey fryer to heat my "wet" waste hyd oil with great results. 10 minutes to heat 4 gal to 225+. It takes some time but the little I have been using, it works ok.

I don't think "all water" will settle out.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also messin with WVO and dried some this weekend.I heat it to...ummm HOT and pump it with it splashing on the side of the big (20 gal) pan I use.It started out wet (alot of suspended water) and after a half hour was nice and dry.

Just wondering if anybody has tried this with WMO? I'd run this in my ford, but not the dodge....the IP is a lil spendy LOL .

Stu

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water will settle out of the oil, I just watch the bottem of the buckets for water or antifreeze, if it looks funny it goes in the bad bucket. Your truck had a water seperator for a reason, it does just fine as long as theres not excessive water in there. I have been mixing in a quart or so of E85 to absorb any water that makes it past my filters.

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
I heated 55 gallons of hydraulic oil about 5 gallons at a time to boil off the water. It works the same as WVO. WMO should be no different. Whats the flash point of motor oil? Got to be 400 or so? Not sure but its higher than the 250ish you will need to heat it to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online