wiring by color and function

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Every time I wire a trailer or truck for hauling trailers I do so by color codes. My boss had a new hitch installed and asked the shop to wire it for lights (4 pins) at the same time using a 7 pin plug. I had to re do the entire wiring on 2 trailers He just bought and when I plug His truck to the trailer they don't work so I pulled the plug and there was wires on the wrong pins so I called the shop (on business for 30+ years) and the guy said they wire them by function not color and gave Me a list of which color goes to which wire. I didn't want to argue the guy so I said thank You and that was it, but I wonder why the heck do they do this isn't is easier to just follow a wire color all the way instead of wonder which color goes to what. I've done more than a few trailers and never thought much of it I just re wired the ones I found like He described in the past, what do You guys have to say to this?

Thank You.

dopeassjackson

Reaction score
i never wire by color. you wouldnt believe the amount of times i found colors doing the wrong function. location, location, location is the most important part.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang it, I had this real long thing about electricians,good and bad, and ******* owners. But I didn't hit post reply and went straight to the view new posts. Wait it's in the lounge.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just jump online and get the wireing code.so much easier when color coded although somt dont always match the codes so i gott play the hide and seek the power wire games

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony