Wire harness hell

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today was the day to try to start the truck with 2 new heads(old ones cracked) new gaskets and glow plugs. Glow plugs worked well enough to bleed the fuel lines however well the truck was running the plug for the glow plug harness melted and fused itself together. Are the 2 thick yellow that are seperate form the plug but there are holes for not supposed to be pluged in tried again after and now it clicks endlessly like plugs are bad again. Anyone have any thoughts this harness uses zd-09 plugs is that 7.3Idk the engine is 6.9 and I was told it had a upgrading glow plug system if I can't get this harness separated is there somewhere to buy new harnesses?

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little confused Wes lol do you sell whole harness's bc mine melted/fused at the plug over the wheel well

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The manual conversion kit that uses the white Rodgers relay replaces all the factory wiring and controller

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
There’s pictures in that thread and some others on here and on the Classic Diesel Designs Facebook page. A few have posted pictures on here of the install

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all that is bad is those two yellow wires, you can run a fused power feed directly from the battery to the GP relay. I ran some 4ga and a 200amp fuse.

Is the rest of the harness damaged or just the GP wires?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
ok if the glow plug system is the newer 7.3 automatic system multiple things can make it click.

1. bad glow plugs (sounds like this is not the case)
2. a bad ground on the the controller
3. a bad connection to the glow plugs

the controller is measuring the overall resistance of all the glow plugs through the block. if anything interrupts the electrical loop between the glow plug controller power and ground to the block it will short cycle. i believe many a serviceable controller set up was scrapped because of a bad connection somewhere. the owner did not have the time to chase down where it was and just put a manual set up in. LOL

if you cant find a bad connection Wes does sell a very nice kit.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut the two yellow wires on each side near the factory plugs. Get 4 yellow colored ring connectors and crimp them on the 4 ends you have after you strip the insulation back a little bit. Then take two small bolts and nuts, and bolt one yellow wire coming from the fender to one yellow wire going to the engine, and then do the same thing again with the two yellow wires left. Then try it out.

Yellow ring connector.

You must be registered for see images

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok if the glow plug system is the newer 7.3 automatic system multiple things can make it click.

1. bad glow plugs (sounds like this is not the case)
2. a bad ground on the the controller
3. a bad connection to the glow plugs

the controller is measuring the overall resistance of all the glow plugs through the block. if anything interrupts the electrical loop between the glow plug controller power and ground to the block it will short cycle. i believe many a serviceable controller set up was scrapped because of a bad connection somewhere. the owner did not have the time to chase down where it was and just put a manual set up in. LOL

if you cant find a bad connection Wes does sell a very nice kit.
Can't seem to find where the information is for what he has to offer where to buy or what it looks like. Seems like a way to replace that whole harness but I have a updated 7.3 system on my 6.9 and just nervous it won't work

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you click on the link I posted and read the thread you will find all the info you need. To order, just send me a pm. The manual conversion kit replaces the entire glow plug system, all you need is a set of working ZD9 glowplugs, and a push button in the cab rated for at least 5 amps. Does not matter if it’s a 6.9 or 7.3.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you click on the link I posted and read the thread you will find all the info you need. To order, just send me a pm. The manual conversion kit replaces the entire glow plug system, all you need is a set of working ZD9 glowplugs, and a push button in the cab rated for at least 5 amps. Does not matter if it’s a 6.9 or 7.3.
My question is at that point what about the temp sensor fast idle and the gas heater plugs that are in the harness, and my plug that plugs into is melted will this all be replaced or just everything that goes to that relay and the relay itself

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is at that point what about the temp sensor fast idle and the gas heater plugs that are in the harness, and my plug that plugs into is melted will this all be replaced or just everything that goes to that relay and the relay itself

Only the glow plug wiring is replaced, the separate circuits will remain separate. If the plug for the rest of your engine is melted you need to replace or bypass that, but things don’t short out for no reason so I would follow each melted wire and see what caused the wiring to melt.