winching question

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A question for someone who has some good winching experience.

I have a 10,000 # Warn winch on my trailer that I use to pull cars onto it. If I block the tires on the trailer and the truck, realistically how much can I pull before I start sliding the truck and trailer? Is worth buying the Mile Marker 24K snatch block tomorrow for some work this weekend, or will every start sliding long before then? The trailer is 3100-3200#, truck is 7200#. I hate to spend $70 for nothing.

I can toss a car onto the trailer for weight, but I would rather not since I would be running the cable under it and if something goes wrong :eek:

Whit

Reaction score
JPR, get ya some timbers like 6x6 would be good and cut them on a 30 to 45 degree angle and use them as wheel chocks,make em about a foot long, put 2 under the rear of the trailer and 2 under the rear of the truck and you will be fine, heck I have 4 snach blocks hangin on the wall and aint used them in years.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
couple of things here.....first is the truck/trailer combo parked on dry ground or on loose dirt? here's the calc's used by TT drivers.... with vehicle in neutral and unchocked, the weight you are pulling is 10% of the total weight. If you are in park and the ebrake engaged, you have roughly double the gross combined weight plus whatever drag you have on the ground. If you are braked and chocked, you should have no problems with pulling up whatever cars you are loading. I am guessing you are using a electric winch and if you are, a snatch block is a great idea since your pulling force has just been doubled. Your winch won't work as hard, so the duty cycle will be longer.
Hope this helps.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Unless you can lock the brakes on the trailer, too, the weight is really a moot point. Until you get some weight on the trailer, it will ride right up over any kind of wheel chocks. Pulling against the parking brake is a great idea, but most often doesn't work. The brakes are designed to hold mostly against moving forward, so they are less effective, in reverse. I have this problem with my wrecker. The line-lock on the rear brakes died, so I have to use scotch blocks, almost anytime for recovery.

Are you trying to load something, or just using the winch, like a recovery winch?

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunday I need to pull one out that is stuck. I will be on pavement and can have someone else hold the brakes on the truck and trailer.

I just purchased a snatch block. Headed out to put a charger on the trailer battery.

Last edited:

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say leave the truck running with someone holding the brakes on. Leave your truck in neutral to avoid binding the park prawl

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Members online