winch mounting ideas needed

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some input on mounting a winch on the front of my 93 f-250. I have not been able to find a cheap winch bumper, so I need a plan "b". (From outer space?)

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2" reciever?
Cheap and good are rarely found in the same sentance.
Hideaway base mount?

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never done exactly what you're doing there, but maybe you could push the front bumper forward, fab up a bracket the mount it behind your license plate, right between your frame rails, of course you are limited by that gap, and we don't know what size winch you want, so. . . . :dunno

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 12000lb winch. What you are talking about, or with the winch above the rails is what I am thinking, too. I know that someone here has a winch. Maybe someone can post pics or plans.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you do it right, it can look pretty 'factory' as the factory did build LOTS of the L8000 Class 8 trucks with the forward bumpers for stuff like the hydraulics to run stuff like cement mixer drums. ;Sweet

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've kicked around the idea myself. I'm still holding out hope of finding a proper bumper but for now I run a hitch on the front of the truck

If end up going the diy route I'll probably start with this http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-channel-winch-mount-90476.html
Cut it down, make it fit, add some gussets, keep it as tight as I can and finally reattach the stock bumper.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Which 12k winch?? If it is a small frame one, there should be miles plenty room to get it behind the front bumper.

Black dawg

Reaction score
might want to research, but pretty sure warn wants that winch mounted "feet forward".

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Attached is a picture of my old huntin truck (R.I.P.), with winch attached in front of stock bumper. I removed the bumper and mounted an old class IV hitch. I positioned it such that the hitch hole was covered by the license plate. The winch was fitted with a piece of 2" X 2" X thickwall square tubing. When I wanted to mount the winch, simply remove the PSE license plate that covered the hole and slide it in just like a trailer hitch.
You must be registered for see images attach

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC the winch is supposed to mount feet/mountjng holes facing forward onto the plate. Thats a pretty good pull to mount feet down.

IMNSHO all winch mounts should be feet forward...ya I know I did the trailer feet down...cable ran under a large angle iron frame...if mounts broke..frame would slow down or stop the winch from becoming a projectile......engineered exceptions are ok.

JM2CW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online