h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
ok, i've been making test batches and i made one tonight,
1. the oil is dry, (boiled it to 250)
2. has been sitting in fry daddy for a week
3. i heated it up to 150 then waited 5 mins
4. poured it in a dr p and then add my methoxide

Look how it turned out? the batch on the right i made last week i filtered it tonight and that is the third wash.
Any ideas on the stuff floating on top of the left one?
Thanks

Attachments

• HPIM2553.jpg
    HPIM2553.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM2551.jpg
    HPIM2551.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM2552.jpg
    HPIM2552.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 10

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
free fatty acids? isent the glycerine supposed to go to the bottom. i will have to check my book tonight.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Methanol boils off at 148*F. Why are you heating so hot? Are you SURE your titration is correct?

This is why I haven't started to process yet. I don't care to be in a mayonaise production business...quite yet. :D

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Methanol boils off at 148*F. Why are you heating so hot? Are you SURE your titration is correct?

This is why I haven't started to process yet. I don't care to be in a mayonaise production business...quite yet. :D

it was only at 130ish when i mixed it? I use the biodiesel spread sheet to do my math, and i have also found a fourmla for something elese that i am trying to get working? (i plan on sharing it when i'm done!!) so yes it was 10 grams to 380ml to 1.89l of oil i think? could i be pouring my **** in to fast?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
The formula I was taught is: 1 liter ****** oil / 200 ml methanol / 6 gms KOH (or 4 grams lye). Depending on your titration, you'll need to add more KOH or lye. In your post you don't mention the titration result so it's hard to know if you added the correct amount of catalyst.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
The formula I was taught is: 1 liter ****** oil / 200 ml methanol / 6 gms KOH (or 4 grams lye). Depending on your titration, you'll need to add more KOH or lye. In your post you don't mention the titration result so it's hard to know if you added the correct amount of catalyst.

yes that is the same i get, but i want to use the 385ml of ****, so it comes to 1.85l of oil 4grams of lye yes plus 1 or 1.5 so for the oil it comes to 10 or 12. the first one i used 12 got glop, then used 10 and got the stuff on the right. tried it again and got the one on the left?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i've been making test batches and i made one tonight,
1. the oil is dry, (boiled it to 250)
2. has been sitting in fry daddy for a week
3. i heated it up to 150 then waited 5 mins
4. poured it in a dr p and then add my methoxide

Look how it turned out? the batch on the right i made last week i filtered it tonight and that is the third wash.
Any ideas on the stuff floating on top of the left one?
Thanks

I just took a class from Girl Mark. The result on the right looks like over-agitation during the wash cycle. Washing is supposed to be GENTLE.
The result on the left looks like soap formation on top.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
hey thanks,
i did wash it a couple more times and it looks good now, next for the 3/27 test? as for the sample on the left it is glop? i messed up some where?

Last edited: