Why should I not use an airtex lift pump?

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I have heard it here many times and I will try to follow everyone's advice.

But why not exactely? :dunno

I think I may have a newer airtex pump that was my spare until my scrapyard factory style lift pump died 600 miles from home. The alleged Airtex got me home but now I am concerned with it being on there. At least I think it is an Airtex. It is smallish and the weep hole is close to the block near the front mounting bolt. Is that the Airtex?

The pump I took off was larger and had the weep hole more to the outside.

Can someone set me straight on this?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just heard bad things about them many times to make me want to avoid them. Rockauto has delphi lift pumps for $30, which is only a little more than an airtex. Problem is, sometimes when they fail they not only could strand you away from home, but they also can leak diesel into the crankcase and, if not caught, could cost you some bearings or cause an engine runaway. If you do a search on here for lift pump recommendations, there aren't many recommendations but there are a ton of people saying stay away from airtex.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Rodger that. The Airtext tends to leak fuel into the crankcase when it fails is the answer. T/Y.

The old pump leaked fuel out of the weep hole but did not contaminate the crankcase oil to any detectable level.

Last edited: