Why is it a pooch

HVACfarmer

Reaction score
Pulling a TT 6500 lbs. 65 mph, mileage 8.7, exhaust temp. 1000 to 1100 degrees
can maintain 70 mph on flat, but on mild hill have trouble to maintain speed.
This is on north Iowa and Minnesota interstate. New injectors and rebuilt
injection pump late year. Checked boost max 7.5 psi. lift pump pressure
5 psi. I can understand poor fuel economy with 4.10 axles, but should
be able to fly with trailer Was timed at pump rebuilder said he set timing to 6.5
don't need 8.5 he said. Could I be under fuel-ed ,but get high exhaust temps? Doesn't smoke either.
Though about trading to computer, but after doing research I remembered
why I wanted an IDI. Would spend money for moose pump if would solve problem. Great sight be lurking for over 2 years.

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I can help with the tranny but for one thing You can increase the boost a bit and install an upgrade for that ats down pipe to lower those egt's a bit. The next step would be an IC and that will give You more room for fuel.

Welcome.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I can help with the tranny but for one thing You can increase the boost a bit and install an upgrade for that ats down pipe to lower those egt's a bit. The next step would be an IC and that will give You more room for fuel.

Welcome.
Welcome and what he said!!!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to that guy that told you 6.5*BTDC... you want to set it 8.5 BTDC at 2000 for the pulse method or 1.5*ATDC with the luminosity method. And I also agree that the fgactory turbo downpipe needs to go in favor of the Banks pipe or a real ATS downpipe(non run over/flattened version) The EGTs aren't terrible if they are hot side numbers, if they are cold side you are fixing to burn something down. It should be able to easily maintain 60-70 towing without burning down and get at least close to 10mpg.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Opening up the exhaust made a huge difference on my truck, Have the ATS 3" down pipe, now going into a 4" exhaust with a straight through truck muffler. lower egts than with the stock exhaust and better pulling power.

With your timing retarded , you ******* in the wind a bit, need to get it up to spec. If you get to any kind of altitude like that you're going to need to get out and push :D

------Robert

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your pump rebuilder might know something about pumps, but he doesn't know his IDI's if he told you 6.5 degrees. 8.5 is spec + - 2 degrees, which puts you at the absolute bottom of the acceptable range. I've had guys running at 6.5 degrees that when I set them to 8.5 they noted a marked increase in performance.

HVACfarmer

Reaction score
Just got off the phone to Banks and ordered a replacement downpipe won't
be 3 in. but was $115 plus hauling. Did search on downpipe and found part numbers, not sure about poor fit of ATS in housing. Now does anyone no of a place in Iowa
to get my timing set.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not specifically but look up Stanadyne and Roosamaster dealers in your area, and make sure they time with tools. That Banks pipe will let it breathe a lot more too, its not gonna be fun to replace it though. The ATS one will be good and stuck and you'll have to cut or bend some of the firewall lip for clearance...that's actually why Ford/ATS took this shortcut, since the pre '94 trucks weren't originally designed for a turbo, they had to get creative on getting the downpipe to clear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger